Why Is She So Thirsty?

greg watts

Hey Greg,

I was just curious if you tried out your friends GG? I’m very new to trials riding and bikes. I just got a 05 REV3 270.

The other day I went riding with a guy that had a GG 300/310cc or something pro and we traded back and forth a few times. I liked the riding position on the Beta much better and the power was more linear on the Beta. The GG hit a lot harder when it came on the pipe, I almost looped it a few times. It was a lot like riding an MX bike vs. a woods bike.

I’m just wondering if Betas are in fact more linear or do I have something wrong.lol

Hey Greg,

I was just curious if you tried out your friends GG? I’m very new to trials riding and bikes. I just got a 05 REV3 270.

The other day I went riding with a guy that had a GG 300/310cc or something pro and we traded back and forth a few times. I liked the riding position on the Beta much better and the power was more linear on the Beta. The GG hit a lot harder when it came on the pipe, I almost looped it a few times. It was a lot like riding an MX bike vs. a woods bike.

I’m just wondering if Betas are in fact more linear or do I have something wrong.lol

Yes, i have ridden it. It's brand new though so i was taking it very easy, but i would say i found the beta a bit easier to ride and identify with the observations you make. Some how the beta just felt a little bit smaller, but I'm sure i could get used to the GG easily enough. It was a lot smoother and quieter too.

• 5 weeks later...

I may have had a breakthrough. More news as things unfold...

With the excellent help of John at Lampkins and Beta Italy I discovered that very early 2008 bikes (and mine is one of those) needed a small mod to the carb, basically a little brass insert that reduces the size of the overflow tube in the float bowl. That and shortening the overflow and breather tubes and putting a little slit in them about 20mm from the carb to stop the syphon effect. However, the parts kit is no longer available, so after a little bit of effort, Beta Italy sent me a replacement (used, but who cares?) float bowl to the correct specification. I was well chuffed!

The bike does now use less fuel and it's a lot less 'bogged down' when you need to blip the throttle on a descent. I am now going to play with the jetting as I'm pretty sure that at my elevations it is running a bit rich, so I think I am starting to get somewhere with this now. Happy days (I hope). :-)