Noise Levels From New Bikes

pmski

Hello everyone, first post.

Have been riding enduro and MX for a good few years and trials bikes are turning my head. Got a nasty injury 2 months ago that required my humerus to be plated. Won't be able to ride MX tracks anytime soon, but will be able to take it easy on a trials bike from August.

The appeal of a light weight bike that is easy to load and ride is appealing - my crosser want to rip my arms off.

So, what is the noise pollution like from modern trials bikes as I would like to trail ride and use the bike a bit like a MTB with an engine, people just hate noisy bikes and as I want to get to places without people hearing or being offended it is important.

How much quieter is a trials bike compared to an SXF 250?

The bike I am considering is the Ossa 280i 2013 as I like the idea of EFI - the assisted start thing on the ossa also looks good.

I am also looking at the Electric Motion EM 5.7 but worried about battery life and support should things go wrong.

Thoughts appreciated

A modern two stroke trials bike (forget the 4RT on noise grounds) is very quiet when just running along. However I doubt you'll find anywhere near Edinburgh where you can legally do what you want to do. We've lost local(ish) trials venues to Edinburgh in recent years through folk on enduro bikes under the impression that they have the right to ride on "trails" that are actually private ground.

And I think you'll find an electric bike is no more acceptable in law.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

A modern two stroke trials bike (forget the 4RT on noise grounds) is very quiet when just running along. However I doubt you'll find anywhere near Edinburgh where you can legally do what you want to do. We've lost local(ish) trials venues to Edinburgh in recent years through folk on enduro bikes under the impression that they have the right to ride on "trails" that are actually private ground.

And I think you'll find an electric bike is no more acceptable in law.

Yes it's frustrating when you loose riding spots to inconsiderate idiots. Don't worry I pick where I ride very carefully. Tinto Moto Park has an excellent 10 mile trail loop suitable for trials bikes and there are good areas for trials bikes at Drumclog.

I don't intend to rip up private ground. Thanks for the feedback re noise it's good to know they are quiet compared to what I ride presently.

Noise is the issue with dirtbikes of all kinds - the sooner they become quieter the better.

The bike you are considering the Ossa is sometimes quite difficult to start, even with the battery pack.

Also for a public it sounds quite loud due to the high compression it kind of barks at tickover.

I don't know the Beta 4 stroke, overhere i haven't ever seen one, but the Montesa starts easely and isn't realy loud with the original pipe, only when you give it a full hand off throtle you can hear her.

Most off the 2 stroke bikes ar harder to start due to compression, you realy have to give them a good kick and some off them can kick back, my Fantic does sometimes quite hefty.

The bike you are considering the Ossa is sometimes quite difficult to start, even with the battery pack.

Also for a public it sounds quite loud due to the high compression it kind of barks at tickover.

I don't know the Beta 4 stroke, overhere i haven't ever seen one, but the Montesa starts easely and isn't realy loud with the original pipe, only when you give it a full hand off throtle you can hear her.

Most off the 2 stroke bikes ar harder to start due to compression, you realy have to give them a good kick and some off them can kick back, my Fantic does sometimes quite hefty.

So, are you saying 2 stroke trilas bikes are harder to start than 4 strokes? My experience with MX bikes is that 2 strokes are easier to start than 4 strokes.

Is the ossa noticeably louder than say a beta or gas gas? My preference is for 2 stroke as less moving parts to go wrong but I would consider a beta 4 stroke if quieter than a 2 stroke.

• Like 1

The Beta 4t is very quiet. The 2t's are pretty quiet compared to most bikes. (except the Beta 4t)

Ok that's interesting as noise produced is important. How are they to start? Also what size engine would you recommend for mixed riding - 250 or 300.

So you would say the beta 4t is quieter than all 2t trials bikes?

Thanks