13" Sherco Over Heating

hugh_b

Hoping someone can help!

I have a 2013 sherco 290, whilst at a trial today, on the last lap is started to "pink" and loose power/run lumpy. It has done this a couple of times before but it stopped instantly once stopped and re-started (i thought it may be something to do with the map switch as i've knocked it a couple of times/changed settings whilst riding along)

Today it was over heating without a doubt, i stopped the bike and pushed back to the van. Upon inspection this evening it seems that the coolant level is just over the fins within the radiator but i'd say this has dropped slightly since i last checked.

When the bikes was very hot, i could actually smell it! The fan was not constantly on however which i thought it would be?

I've cleaned the carb out, checked the plug which appears to be ok.

Could this be a fan/thermostat switch issue on a bike this new?

Thanks

Hugh

A dodgy stator can make the bike run hot, possible pinging, as the incorrect ignition timing will put a lot of unburned fuel downstream the muff will likely get really warm and possible smell or smoke. This will have little to do with the fan operation or coolant temp or boilover spitting out coolant..

Just sitting at idle, if the fan runs and cycles normally, I would be looking the other direction. Hopefully the bike is still under warranty?

I will double check the fan and stat but i'm sure it was kicking in on idle, it just seemed odd that even though the bike was so hot it wasn't on constantly and only ran for a short time before stopping.

Will also investigate the stator.

Thanks guys.

Try bleeding the system, if you get air trapped in the wrong place the fan won't go, think of what happens to your temp gauge in the car if the water level drops, it climbs until the sensor is uncovered then drops

Is it possible the bike was embarrassed by its 'rider'?

Over 100 marks dropped at a club trial would make me boil over too....

:blush:

It was more like 70....but at least I'm riding expert and not trophy hunting on the novice route teeheehehe!

Just thought i'd post a quick update.

After some tinkering and swapping bits from a friends bike, the poor running turned out to be a faulty CDI.

Malcolm Rathmell Sport were fantastic and sent out a CDI under warranty straight away so big thanks to them as I will now be riding this weekend!

Just thought i'd post a quick update.

After some tinkering and swapping bits from a friends bike, the poor running turned out to be a faulty CDI.

Malcolm Rathmell Sport were fantastic and sent out a CDI under warranty straight away so big thanks to them as I will now be riding this weekend!

Good on you then! As usual , seems there is exception to every rule, as CDI failures seem rare by reports, yet not(never) impossible! :beer: