Evo 4T Running Hot?

tman427

Had some cylinder gaskets leaking on my 2011 Evo 4t. Bike ran fine, but hot. Went to the dealer and we replaced the leaking cylinder gaskets only to find out that the impeller blade that moves the coolant was missing.

Not sure how, as the guy I bought the bike off of assures me he did not remove it.

Have these blades disintegrated in the past, as there is not any real residue or plastic parts hanging around?

Anyone else having these issues? Attached a jpg image of where the blade should be.

Thanks, and keep your feet up.

Tom

post-14581-0-19689200-1373404737_thumb.jpg

So I'm not sure what I'm seeing there, is the entire impeller missing or just the blades and the base is left behind?

Hard to believe it was just running hot with no real coolant circulation huh

Is the cir-clip still on the end of the shaft? If so remove it and see if there is a hub/base of plastic left that will slide off.

If so, then the blades have came off the molded hub/base.

If there is no hub/base on the shaft then someone either took it off or it was never installed at the factory.

I would imagine that the cir-clip is the last thing installed as the impeller shaft would have to slide through the seal in the crankcase and could not do so if the cir-clip was on it? So for a factory worker to put a cir-clip on a empty impeller shaft (i.e. no impeller) is weird and highly unlikely!

If there is no cir-clip then it makes the thought that a Beta factory worker left the cir-clip AND impeller off more plausible.

Edited by billyt

Strange i should see this . Guy parked next to me at trial 2 weeks ago with an Evo 250 2t he bought new . First time he used it the bike went pop before it was even run in . Why ? Impeller not fitted correctly at the plant , although yours looks to be absent through other reasons , id go along with billyt post .

Is the cir-clip still on the end of the shaft? If so remove it and see if there is a hub/base of plastic left that will slide off.

If so, then the blades have came of the molded hub/base.

If there is no hub/base on the shaft then someone either took it off or it was never installed at the factory.

No base left, just the shaft and cir-clip.....wonder if it was a factory f&$% up?

So I'm not sure what I'm seeing there, is the entire impeller missing or just the blades and the base is left behind?

Hard to believe it was just running hot with no real coolant circulation huh

Back in the day of just air cooled....suprised the cylinder and piston did not sieze up

Probably only a 4 stroke could do that

Every second rotation of the engine is a cooling stroke where a 2 stroke doesn't get a break

Did they measure the piston to cylinder clearance and mike the bore for out of round?

Probably only a 4 stroke could do that

Every second rotation of the engine is a cooling stroke where a 2 stroke doesn't get a break

Did they measure the piston to cylinder clearance and mike the bore for out of round?

Yeah, everything seems good, still had the cross hatching marks in the cylinder with no signs of scoring...maybe lucky it did not sieze up