Crank Case Nuts

bondy

hello guys just fishing for some info. the crank half cases anybody know what the torque setings the nuts are? says in the manual 5.78f without looking think its nearly 7NM my rachet only goes up in 2s dont want to over tighten the nuts.

Hi Bondy. I have never used a torque wrench on these nuts before. They are a 6mm by 1.0 thread so they only need to be firm not tight as in a three foot bar on the end of the socket handle would be an overkill as well as stripping them all. Just use common sense. Do you use a torque wrench on all the other 6mm bolts on your Sherpa. Graham.

hi Graham yes on the engin i do. am a long way off puting the engin back together just trying to get some info so when it is time to rebuild i know what needs doing this is my first conplete rebuilld on the engin. so i want to make sure is spot on. cheers bondy.

Bondy your manual is 100% correct. The nuts are torqued to 5ft/lbs. Correct torque specs should always be observed during engine case reassembly. Any of the 6x1mm threaded fasteners should be torqued between 5 to 7 footpounds. Having the correct torque spec insures that thermo expansion of the cases happens at the same rate thus reducing the chance of unwanted air or oil leaks.

Steve