Bultaco Alpina (Model 165) 250: Problems With Clutch

nnyerges

Hello

Anyone know the order of the parts of the lever / clutch rod? These are the 3 pieces we took. Apparently missing one or two of "steel balls" of 5.5 mm:

The actuator (part # 1) has its own steel ball. The rod has to either side for a crevasse (depression) is supposed to fit (fit) a "ball of steel" in amabos sides, one side of the actuator (part # 1) and another by the side of the (part # 3) . In turn, the (item # 3) has a crevasse to fit another steel ball driving lengthening the wire pushing the adjusting screw.

I have no pictures of the balls, as they do not get them or we are lost.

The truth is that CANT PUSH THE ckutch rud, doesnt move anithing, does nothing. Its like inserting a rode in a death end.

Please help

post-18850-0-29364600-1377300703_thumb.jpg

hi you cant push the clutch rod by hand. ive never had a Alpina but have the sherpas. so i can only tell you how the sherps clutch is set up. id gess the Alpina is probley the same. there should be a small ball bearing on the R/H side of the clutch this is called the throw out ball if its not there then the rod will not work. to find out if its there you need to take the plate off the clutch behind that you will see the mushroom rod take this out.and the ball should be behind it. you may have to poke the clutch rod from the other side to throw the ball out.looking at your photo i dont know what the brass sleave is. looks to me like it shouldnt be there. should be a small ball bearing.

The one steel ball is already attached to the actuator, what I guess is that in the past someone have replaced or modified the clutch rod and at the end it was too short. Instead of using the right length an additional roller tube was used, maybe there is still a roller ball inside as the ball is difficult to get out when the clutch assemly inside the clutch basket is completly assembled.

I your clutch is not working as well as it should and you have found pieces that obviously do not belong to the bike You should take the clutch apart and look through the assembled parts.

Here the clutch asembly of the engine, (from a Sherpa not a Alpina engine, but the are pretty much the same):

Bultacomoter%2520Isometrie.jpg

Here what you should find when you take the clutch apart:

The cluth rod #15 in the sketch,

The roller ball # 44 in the sketch,

The mushroom shaped press rod end with the roller bearing which actuates the outer clutch plate # 8 and # 43 in the sketch.

Get a parts book from your Alpina and then ask Bultaco UK if they can deliver you the parts, I would also suggest to replace

# 8 and # 43 as this parts wear pretty much as well, here my used clutch rod, ball, mushroom style press rod and roller bearing which I have replaced:

DSC08033.JPG

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

REVIVE!

Found this post coz I've had the same problem with a 'rod in a death end'.

WOW! thats a tough clutch pull - my 92/325 is easy and can pull in with one finger.

This 80/250 broke the nipple!

Actuating arm nice and smooth - ball bearing present and correct.

The rod slides in nice and easy, yes the mushroom end ball bearing was missing (must have dropped out duing dismantle) but replacing it made no difference. (no small homemade extension piece either like above, but contemplated making and using one)

Had all the clutch apart - all looks good. Maybe a bit at the end of it's wear. The adjuster was quite screwed out.

All back together and no difference.

Bugger! have I got to take the clutch apart and start again.

Start with the adjuster cover and see if I can see what's going on.

EUREKA! The inside of my new ally adjuster cover is scored by the adjuster nut!

Soon as I took it off, everything worked fine - still heavy - but working.

So. Have to screw the adjuster cover in just so far. Just enough to let the clutch push out, but not touch.

But. I have a feeling the gear lever will rub my shiny adjuster cover!

I was so excited to share my news I haven't tested that yet.

Hope nnyerges found his answer.