Removing Rear Shocks From A Montesa Cota 247?

mboon

Hi Guys and girls,

I want to remove the rear shocks from the above bike. Do I need spring compression claimps or is the spring compressed within the shock?

Can I remove the shock and spring in one go just by unbolting the shock?

Thanks

Mark

You can remove the shock and spring as a complete assembly by removing the bolts that go through to the frame. These sometimes corrode making removal difficult.

Some people use a spring compressor but that is not always needed. Clamp the lower eyelet (just the eyelet, not the shock body) into a vice in the normal upright position. Turn the adjuster to minimum to lower the spring pressure. Then grasp the spring and pull it down from the top of the shock. At the top of the spring is a "c" shaper keeper that needs to be removed. If the spring is very stiff it may take two people - one to pull down on the spring, the other to remove the keeper. Once the keeper is out, left the pressure off the spring and lift it off the shock. Assembly is the reverse.

Haha, agreed.

I bought a HondaTLR200a while ago from a guy who had put massive springs on. He said he had used it to drag firewood and had some sort of hitch on it. No surprise it needed a clutch. I weigh about 17stone (I think) and riding it was like a hard tail Harley. I swapped out the springs and shocks and it now rides much better. .