1992 Gt25, No Spark

coop650

I had plans to ride with a friend and another local trials rider we just met last night. So yesterday I started the bike and rode it around the yard a few times since I haven't ridden it since my bicep surgery. But when we got there, my bike wouldn't start. Upon inspection today there is no spark. Luckily my new acquaintance has a 2001 GasGas 280 as a backup bike he let me ride.

I was wondering if anybody that owns an older bike might have an idea on what to check first? I replaced the plug and checked the cap. It's weird that it ran and I shut it off, now it won't spark. I am not sure how to check the single wire kill switch but I will google that now.

Hi Coop.

the kill switch just basically runs the cdi or coil to earth so shorts the circuit. try disconnecting and try for spark as sting says. some kill buttons are accesable once removed to check for something jambed inside. Spray with WD40 or similar might free it but best to get a new one.

If it is the switch and you want to start it to make sure you can make a temp kill wire with a crock clip or something on the end to stop the engine.

if its not the killy then I would check all connections and the other common fail point ,the main earth for your electrics , usually just above the radiator on the frame.

TLTEL

You might try unplugging the cdi. They do not fit very well and just plug back in. If you cannot get any parts from RSI, I just checked my tool box and still have a cdi for it. (They were a known problem back then.) Hopefully it is something simple.

Thanks guys. I tried the kill switch, same thing. I still ride with the fellow that I bought the bike from and he said he had an issue at the CDI like lineaway suggested. He had to put never seize or something similar on the plugs to make better contact. It is all gone now. The plugs is not a very tight fit that's for sure.

Edited by coop650

I got the it running. Lineaway was right and it was the connection at the CDI. I tried anti-seize to promote conductivity and it worked until I moved the CDI to tuck it back away so the tank would fit, then no spark again. I finally got annoyed and replaced that three wire plug on the CDI with three separate wires with barrel connectors crimped to fit the CDI posts tightly and it started first kick. Back in business, thanks for the tips folks.