Sprite Sachs Engine Gearbox Oil

john b

Hi there

I'm rebuilding a sprite with sachs engine.

On the underside there are two drain plugs, one with a normal bolt head, and one a different shape.

Removing the 'normal' bolt to drop the gearbox oil, and there was around 150 ml of what looks like ATF that came out (looked very clean !)

Quantity seems a bit small, and unsure of the other bolt on the underside of the engine.

Any advice or help !??

Cheers

John

John,

do not touch the other bolt.This bolt is for the Kickstaartspring,if you remove that bolt you have to disamble the complete engie to get the Kickstartspring sortet again.Open the Clutchcase and mor gearboxoil will drain out.This engine gets 650cc gearboxoil.You can use atf or any 80 gearboxoil.

Cheers:Mike

John,

easiest way ist to remove the complete clutch cover and drain the oil.If you need clutch paltes they are all the same from 50ccm(5 speed)-180ccm.Run the engine on 25:1.If you need any parts or any help let me know.I'am in the Hercules/Sachs Owners Club and have myself a few Hercules bikes with sachs engienes.

One other advice is the igniton.If you have ridden in streams or cleaned the bike after a trial.Remove the mag cover,dry the flywhell and the complete system with high prssure air and put a bit WD 40 on and it will least a long time.

Many thanks Mike - a good man to know - thats great advice !

The bike is apparently a 150cc (I though all were 125?)

It doesn't have the big finned barrell - more 'rounded' - Is that normal ?

We have only ran it once before we stripped down for rebuild and it did run well. I got the bike for my son who is 11. He rides modern, but also classics but growing out of his Whitehawk 80 so this seemed ideal !

He certainly had no bother in streams, up steps etc with it

cheers

John

Edited by john b

John,

well that barrell your engine has mounted is the "Iron Barrel".It is perfect for trials and the engine got good botten end power.It is the same barrell the army bikes over here(west germany)used.Easily to find.Normaly that engine is bulletproofed.Good to hear that a joung lad enjoyes the classic bikes.

Cheers Mike

Thats great ! so its a 150cc ?

He loves the classics - started on TY80 at 8 then moved to Whitehawk. For modern stuff rides the Beta (and is now beating me !!), but he still loves the classics. We were looking for a Bantam for him, but found this sprite which looked (and rides) excellent.

All we have done is stripped down, powdercoated frame and are putting back together replacing anything bent/broken.

cheers

John