Beta Rev3 Splutter

betarich

Hi everyone,

ive just been out on my 2001 Beta rev3, its been running fine most of the day, but after about 2-3 hours it developed a strange splutter/missfire when i give it a fist full to get up a hill. its never done this before. has anyone got any ideas? or known fixes?

Thanks in advance Rich

I have an 03 REV3 200 had a similar problem after doing the normal check new plug disconnect kill switch plug cap I check the circuits with a meter and found the HT side of the coil open circuit The bike would start and run until pulling hard up climbs and over the moors between section New coil problem solved Also check the carb and air filter this could also cause a fault as discribed

Possible suspects,

Ignition, Shorting kill switch, plug fouled, ignition coil, CDI, Stator, intermittent connector

Carburation, Bad gas, contamination in tank, blocked jet, air leak, blocked gas cap vent

Mechanical, Broken reed, torn air boot

Identify symptom

Does engine run well at lower RPMs?

Does engine run well at higher throttle settings when throttle is rolled on slowly?

Does engine recover if allowed to cool off?

Does engine recover if allowed t run at lower RPM for a while?

Obviously you want to go for the cheaper solutions first. A good disassemble and clean of the carb and fresh gas is a good start. While the carb is out inspect the air boots and reeds to make sure all is well. All Beta stock kill switches are crap. Replace it. Make sure you can blow air through the gas cap vent. Throw a new plug in and ride again. If the problem isn't fixed it's probably about to get expensive. Try a new plug cap on the HT lead of the coil. If that doesn't fix it you may be looking at the dreaded stator failure. Diagnoses of ignition component failure is a swap and check deal. I'd love to tell you there was an easy way to test for failed components but there isn't. Metering the stator even with an LCR bridge is iffy at best.

Good luck.

Edited by dan williams
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Hi guys sorry for not getting back intouch sooner, I've done all the obvious maintenance, clean carb properly, stripped all the jets out and blasted them through with air line, set the float hights, fresh fuel, new plug, new air filter, new carb to engine intake rubber, I've cut the ht leed back to fresh, it runs perfect for an hour no matter how hard you ride it, then all of a sudden it starts spluttering when under hard load, still runs fine at low revs, and doesn't develop any further or get any better or worse.

It's really strange, I'd prefer to fix the bike as it's mega tidy and just had all new headstock bearings and swing arm bearings etc