Hey Up Folks

vysie

How you all doing? I came about this site last night while searching as you do.

iv ridden mx bikes since i was little and have always wanted a trails bike just think there pure fun factor.

Im 31 years young so what cc would be suited to learn all over again my last bike was a kx250 but that was for razzing around tracks and fields nothing more than pin it back and have some fun. So to learn would a 125/200 be best or a 280? As the riding style is deffo gonna need work lol

thanks for reading adam

Edited by vysie

First off, you have the correct attitude of "I know how to ride a motorcycle in "insert motorcycle discipline here" but trials is a different animal and I will need to learn that"

It is really hard to swallow the pride that most of us motorcyclists have when changing disciplines. (I have only ridden trials, if I took up MX there would be SO much to learn) But once you get past that and start riding and learning, then much fun will be had.

OK my opinion on 2 stroke trials bike engine size, based on the need for low end torque for the sport.

125cc = no low end torque, rev the hell out of it to move 4 inches, MUST use proper technique to do anything.

200cc = moves better than a 125 still needs reved up and proper technique

250cc = starting to get some usable low end torque, need to rev up a bit but not too much, proper technique is helpful.

270cc = good amount of low end torque, decent rev range but if reved up a bit too much could get away from you

(Note: Sherco 2.9 = 270cc GasGas 280 = 270cc gotta love marketing)

290cc = As far as I know Beta Evo was the only one to have an actual 290cc bike and only for a couple years, was supposed to be a middle ground between the 270 and the 300. (they ditched it in favor of a 300cc)

300cc = Shed loads of low end torque, revs up great and will rip your arms off if you are not prepared.

now of course proper technique is the key to a good days ride, but in some cases with the larger bore bikes a bit of throttle and more grunt will counteract some poor technique and still get you up the obstacle. I don't have experience with modern 4 stroke machines so can't give an opinion on those.

GasGas 280's will rev up rather quickly and LAUNCH!. Good bikes very capable but just keep that in mind until you get used to it. Most often with a new rider you won't even get the revs up to that range unless you "Whiskey Throttle" it. (accidental wide open throttle) and no mattter what size bike you have that is bad situation.

But my opinion is that the 280 (270cc) bikes are a good all around bike for most riders that have prior off road experience. And will serve you well for years as you learn. I rode a 2000 Sherco 2.9 that I got used for about 7 years before moving on to a GasGas 300. The Sherco was still capable but I just like the GasGas better.

But as with ANY bike purchase ride it first!! if possible and the current owner will allow it, ride it in a section type setting. Totally different experience riding through a section than just around the car park or trail. Also sometimes what is available in the area has a hand in deciding what you buy..............if only 250cc are for sale it is a bit tough to buy a 270cc

Well now that everything is clear as mud, Welcome to the sport and the site with many opinions.

As the Zipster said , Ride the bike if possible ... But even though you have MX / Trail experience a trials bike is a completely different beast ... The Torque multiplication factor in a trials gearbox can be a shock , even to experienced riders . They respond to every minor movement or action you make on the bike and are not forgiving at all ! :) ('cause your normal corrections may just make matters worse !) Alot of experienced cross over riders are quite happy with a 200cc bike to start out with , you get to learn technique and then how to control a more powerful bike if the need arises .

But most of all , Find some other trials folks close to you and get out and ride with them , and leave your pride and ego home in the garage , cause some of the simplest maneuvers may totally baffle you at the start , but once you get your feet comfortable up on the pegs , you'll laugh at how silly you felt at first ! Trials IS the best training for ANY 2 wheeled discipline , everything you learn will make you a much better rider , no matter what you are on !!

Get a bike and get riding !!!

Glenn

1 Finger on the clutch,1 finger on the front brake at ALL times,practice pulling in the clutch to slow forward drive until it's a automatic reflex. Getting used to the clutch control is job#1 with a modern trials bike. Find compatriots to ride with,fun that way,and you'll learn much quicker. If your beginner bike is the same make and model as a riding mate you can ask advice on setup and maintenance.