Making Rev 3 270 2T Easier To Kick Start

bigbird2

Don't have a picture BUT a head spacer would have exactly the same shape as a head gasket - just thicker.

You may be right about the numerical CR calc difference? However, I'd guess that earlier CRs were much lower due to the limitations of air cooling if nothing else. My 250 Ossa MAR was so easy to kick that my 105 lb wife could start it. However it does have a looooong kick start lever.

These are the calcs I used to come up with the 1/3 reduction in CR.

Please check and let me know if you agree/disagree?

THANKS

72.5 Bore mm

36.25 Radius mm

36.25 Times Radius mm

1314 Radius Sq.

3.14 Times Pi

4130 Pi R Sq = area in sq mm

41 Area of top of bore hole in sq cm

0.3 3mm Spacer height/thickness in cm

12 3 mm spacer hole Voulume in CCs

270 Beta Displacement in CCs

11.4 Divide by Beta Stock CR

24 = Beta Stock Chamber Vol CCs

36 Expanded Chamber Vol in CCs

7.5 NEW CR (Displacement / Expanded Vol)

-34% Change in CR

My brain just burst into flames

I have never seen how combustion chamber volume relates to compression ratio but just to mess with you further I would expect somewhat of an exponential change in combustion pressure and temperature when compression is reduced

I would still look at a 200 but if you are sold on engineering a change like this I would go with a combination of stacking base gaskets to raise port height as well as a small change in compression

I get a similar but slightly different number. The CR is BDC volume/ TDC volume. Head volume is included in the BDC volume so the head volume would be more like 26 cc. The new condition would be 308/ 38 or 8.1 CR. I just tried to paste in somes spread sheet cells but the format got lost.

I did run a 1/16" (1.5 mm) head spacer on a 250 Techno. It ran fine. The only unique feature was that it would tolerate being pushed down to very low rpms with a heavy load.

Edited by mcman56