Fim Minimum Bike Weight Increase 2014? What?

kettlewell

We are not talking about many motorsports we are Trials in the uk.

One safety item like holes in sprockets (get changed anyway) is not the same as old bikes becoming obsolete, and you have to convince the manufacturers to follow wtc rules which might affect 50 sales a year?

But YOU want the fim to dictate rules to the ACU which is our organisation run by our riders/organisations/clubs and you think they will just say yes?

And you think peeps will actually add weight to bikes to compete in our club trials???????????????????????

Every club is going to buy scales and weigh bikes before events, and have an expert on hand who knows which year each manufacturers bike is made as to whether they are exempt or not?

You really do live in la la land and just haven't thought this through have you?

Nigel, you are answering your own question here! Don't worry yourself, it's most likely never going to happen. Clubs are not going to weight old bikes, they don't have the resources, manpower or money to do this, but more importantly, their not going to turn away riders, just because they have old bikes that are under weight!

If it ever did happen, I can't see it myself, then there would most like be a new class created, to cover the new regs.

Has the ACU been in touch with you or anybody else, to say that the rules have been change and you can no longer ride with your under weight bike?

Chill out dude, enjoy your underweight bike. Just think, the tables have been reversed, Adam Raga will now been looking at the likes of your bike with envy, instead of you looking at his. ;-)

• Like 5

GasGas sells a less expensive eco bike that has all the trick bits removed to save cost and adds a little weight. (Steel pipe, pegs, forks ect..). They have done this for a number of years now. I know around here, they are rare compared to the std, lighter, much more expensive bikes. I think its a great option for some folks, but the majority of the market evidently wants a lighter, more expensive bike. So I don't know where the FIM thinks its going to get a bunch of new sales from, cause the lower cost model isnt the prime market driver from what I can tell.

• Like 1

Dabster you seem to be getting a bit would up over this - its meant to be a friendly forum, not a court of law.

You say what I suggest is never going to happen - well it may or may not. Who foresaw the return of no stop and the increase in minimum weight?

If you were to ask most trials riders I mix with would they like a heavier bike they would answer no. It you asked the if they would like a stronger more reliable bike they would say yes, If you said would they like bikes to cost less they would say yes

If you then added that the previous 2 yeses would mean a heavier bike they would still say yes so long as its not too much.

Only one rider I know has changed his bike specifically for a lighter one and that was because of an illness which has weakened him. The reasons most change bike is they fancy something newer, can't be bothered with MOTs, but often the main reason is they are fed up with poor reliability of their old bike and often change make at the same time. With the one exception as above none has cited reduced weight as the reason to change bike.

I think the FIM with its raised minimum weight has intervened in the nick of time, As someone posted the works Shercos have to have their frames strengthened. I have seen 2 not very old GG pros where the frame has broken where it bolts on under the gearbox and Betas with cracked frames also.

A few extra kGs in the right places and a few lees £s cost wold be a big improvement to the sport.

It is a friendly forum not a place to bang on and on and on about what you think is right when there is clearly plenty of evidence to suggest otherwise, and anecdotal evidence against what is clearly happening out there is making you look daft.

Apart from that its taken 3 reads of what you've put up there and I'm not sure what exactly you mean?

Your trials riders may well say they want this and they want that but if you were so right with this weight and reliability thing why are montesas not selling the most?

Again you have commented about extra weight being a "big improvement to the sport", what about heavy bikes could possible make our sport better, I cant see it? Bikes more reliable, unlikely but faintly possible, but that wont improve our sport.

I really don't care either way but when you clearly ignore any reasonable argument against what appears to be your "blinkered" view I kinda think I'm tired of the effort to even convince you that weight isn't going to be added in any desirable way in the wtc, which is what this thread is all about.

Dabster knows the FIM are trying to resuscitate the WTC they just are not making a very good job of it. Even if the weight increase did save money on parts this is far outweighed by holding rounds in Australia and Corsica.

....and japan (note with a spare weekend between aus and jap?????!!!!!!!!!!!!)

in 2013 the fim did one thing changed to no-stop rules poorly enforced. (They promised more btw)

in 2014 they have increased weight minimums with no condition.

No one can believe that is the resuscitation we are talking about surely?

Edited by nigel dabster

I notice somebody banging on about heavier parts and how they last longer. Would that Include the 4RT Bash plate that needs replacing because it is so full of holes it is as malleable as Swiss cheese? And the Footpeg hangers that need replacing if you weigh anything above 10 stone?

I weigh more than 14 stone and a buddy of mine even more than that and our footpeg hangers are fine. Both 4RT's are over 5 years old and my bashplate is still the original one.

But maybe we're just lucky or your evidence is anecdotal :D

Edited by guys

Have a look at #67 by factory on the Montesa forum, New RT 260, whos got one topic.

Poor bloke had his lightly built gasser fall to pieces then when he bought his already expensive but heavy and reliable 4RT he had to spend a shedload more to lighten it!

If there had been a sensible 75 + kG minimum weight years ago manufacturers would not have needed to go down the too light / road to nowhere route.

The gasser probably would not have fallen to pieces and he would not have had to spend money lightening the Montesa. Perhaps I have a different view to those in some parts of UK, but here in the North Pennines sections are mostly rocks and bikes need to be tougher.