Tlr250 Weight?

nat

cota 348  89kg,  tlr250 88kg.

according to the factory manuals for both.

S.M.

The measured weight of my Cota 348 ready to ride trials (no lights and half a tank of fuel) is 93kg. Others in the same stable also ready to ride are:

TY250B 93kg

KT250A2 94kg

TY175B 83kg

I would have hoped that a bike made 10 years after these bikes (the TLR250) would be lighter than a Cota 348.

Having just tried my "new" TLR250 tonight, i can confirm that it feels a fair bit lighter than the old cota 348, ok so they werent excactly head to head when new, so i s'pose the tlr should have advanced ahead of the 348....

main thing on the tlr for me is lighness of clutch lever, not a trillion miles off my 03 scorpa.................so maybe only a couple of kg's difference in weight, but for me ,1st impressions are that the tlr was certainly heading in the right direction. And is miles more Modern than other earlyish 80's t/shox.

S.M.

Thanks for the comments chaps. (My Montesa 349 was 93kg on the scales, same as it said in the sales brochure). Maybe we should compile a list of all the weights..... but as with modern bikes, the 'twinshocks' seem to be much the same. I guess frame geometry makes one bike feel lighter than another. My '81 Cota 349 feels much lighter than my '79 349, but it is not. Has anybody ridden a Cota 330, 1985, the very last Montesa twinshock.

NAT.

Must admit I never get too hung up about the weights either. Weight bias to front or rear can make a bike feel heavy or light, not its actual weight. The Yam Majesty is a fairly heavy lump to lift about in the garage but to ride they feel quite light, especialy the 320 with it's short wheelbase and quick motor - no problem lifting the front end there.

The lightest feeling twinshock bike I've ridden recently was a Honda TLR250 but I've no doubt this is due to it being a very well set up machine, as t-shock 250 has said, more than its actual weight.

Having plenty of power helps, i have a monstrously powerful special 280 SWM :blink: which may not be the lightest twinshock around but all that grunt certainly makes it feel alot lighter and helps you avoid some parts of the sections where others can get tripped up.

The lightest feeling twinshock bike I've ridden recently was a Honda TLR250

It may feel light enough when the front wheel is being overtaken by the back climbing a steep hill but it is not a light bike when loading into a van or onto a trailer as has regularly been commented upon by most of the guys I ride with.

• 4 months later...

I'll be interested to see if my standard (less lights and under seat fuel tank) 1986 Honda TLR250R monoshock is lighter when she's back together in a few weeks. Are the twinshocks an F model? Is that a 1985 suffix? Mine's a G. Anyone seen a 1987 H model?

post-1294-1132816166.jpg

Edited by Panomphaean