Flat Prevention.

mokwepa

Hi guys

Ive found some cool spots riding distance from my house but in the 2 times ive ridden there, ive picked up a flat front tire both times......!

I have slime in the rear and thats fine but I know slime hardly ever seals a tubed tire. What are my options? Ive read about Bridgestone ultra heavy duty tubes and also thought of doing a double tube.

Any input appreciated.

Cheers

I don't think there is an answer to that question

The thorns here will go through a tire, I imagine an African thorn is like a nail

I remember a story about a lion with a thorn in his paw and this little kid pulled it out and the lion was like totally happy :)

• Like 2

Hmmm. I ride/hunt off my mtn. bike for deer, in an area with lots of little "goat head" stickers. We all run tubes in our tires, and all of us run Slime inside the tubes. The Slime has been a huge deal for us; It works very well.

I've seen some videos for some stuff called Stan's Tire Sealant that seems to be geared more for a tubeless appllication. Geez, their youtube vids show them repeatedly running over beds of nails, poking the sidewalls & tread areas of their tires with sharp, pointy objects, many, many times. All you see are iittle "dots" of sealant where the object got pulled out. Not really sure why this wouldn't work in a tube application? The stuff is kind of expensive, however, last time I checked for it at the local bicycle shop.....

Jimmie

My son used Stan's tire sealant when he road mountainbike competition and most of the competitors use it. It works great. They mostly use tubeless tires.

I used it in my rear tire and it fixed two cuts in the side walls of my Michelin X-light tire. I also have it in my tube type front tyre, but I don't know if it works as well in there...didn't have a puncture yet.

Most Mountainbike shops sell it in Belgium.

It also leaves no muck behind on the inside of the rim. In other words great stuff.

Hi Guys, sorry to butt in here, But whats slime? and what does it do for the back tyre?

See lineaway's post. If I'm right it's very sticky stuff and my local tyre shop hates the stuff because it leaves a mess on the rim when they have to mount a new tyre.

Stan's tire sealant on the other hand, can be wiped clean with a simple rag or rinsed away with water. That's why I prefer it...

bridgestone ultra heavy duty tubes 6mm thick

Michelin ultra heavy duty tubes 4mm thick

others available (i think maxxis do some)

standard mx tubes are reinforced rubber (and cheaper compared to UHDs)

trials tubes and standard road bike tubes are of "normal" thickness/strenght

Well, touch wood......after dumping the other half of the slime in the front and 2x good solid rides yesterday morning and afternoon. .......I still have air in the tires, as well as a few thorns. Im gonna leave the thorns in cause everytime I pull one out it goes flat. Lets see if this theory works :D