315R Pre Or Post 2000?

lamptramp

Hi all,

I'm returning to trials after a very long absence and looking to get a decent clubman bike. I am increasingly interested in getting a Mont 315R as they seem to offer a good compromise between purchase cost/reliability/rideability.

Several people have told me to try to get a 2000-2004 model due to the uprated forks and brakes. But, for an average rider, is there a great deal of difference in the ride between the -1999 and 2000-2004 models? Is it worth the extra expense to hold out for a decent later model? Were there engine mods on the later ones too?

Cheers

i cant really advise to which year to get as ive only had mine 2 months and its a 2001 model, its superb to ride and im really getting along with it and its giving me confidence after not riding for ten years.

its a bike i always wanted and it has met my expectations, i was going over logs and rocks on sunday and it felt really good.

i think if you can get a newer model it has better brakes 4 pot vs 2 pot, better forks and i think that was the only difference, good luck with wichever you choose but im sure you wont be dissapointed

Hi

I have one of each.

Both reliable and well made.

The newer model is definitely better with all the upgrades but it depends greatly on the amount of use .

An older model with little use will be better than a worn out newer model .

You can retro fit a 4 pot AJP brake easily , the rear brake on the old model is fine.

As long as the suspension is in good order you wont know the difference at clubman level.

A new dimpled set of metal clutch plates will sort out the clutch drag.

All pretty much common sense.

They are great bikes , ahead of their time , in the right hands can easily win Nationals.

Good luck in finding the right bike .

I owned a 1998 for 9 years, great bike. The 4 piston brake caliper doesn't make a lot of difference and is easy to add as mentioned. But I would definitely hold out for the later model with the showa fork as I feel it is much better than the paioli on the early model.