Upside Down Shock.

cabby

Is there any benefit or downside to having your shock on upside down ?

Shock or Forks? Depending on the shock in question, being mounted other than intended could move the oil to the wrong spot. In other words it might stop working. (Becomes more like a pogo stick.)

Shock.

Generally they only work properly when fitted the way they were designed to operate so you can't just change them round on a whim. The advantage of the so-called upside down suspension unit is the reduction in unsprung weight. In the same way, it was normal practice among those who cared to have the very best set up to fit the springs on a twin shock so that the closer wound part of the spring was at the top, which usually was not the way they were set up by the manufacturer.

Edited by 2stroke4stroke

I have Betor shocks on both of my Honda's. TL are normal way (spring near the top) TLR are up the other way, But I think it is just for clearance for the spring. I am also pretty sure the fitting guide says they can go either way.

I am also pretty sure some will only work up one way.

TLTEL

Sometimes an emulsion type shock (oil and gas mixed) will not work as well when switched, but the ones that have a floating piston between the oil and Nitrogen usually work both ways. With the body at the "top", unsprung weight is reduced slightly, but possible damage/shaft pitting from flying dirt is increased.

Jon