Bike Rack + Trailer

dilbert93

Hi All

I already have a bike rack but will soon need to move two bikes about. For storage reasons, and flexibility can I use the rack and tow a single bike trailer at the same time? Big 4x4 so weight etc not a problem, more of a practical / legal question I guess.

thanks in advance.

Hi dilbert93,

Yes you can!

I have a Land Rover Defender 110 and use a Dave Cooper rack for my son's Beta Evo and then tow a D,C two bike trailer for my sidecar outfit. On a car with a better turning circle there may be a clearance issue on full lock. But not with a big 4x4. I have even towed my caravan with the bike on the rack.

Paul

The nose weight allowed on cars is around 70 kg e.g vw Golf etc large cars and 4x4 are more, as most bikes are around 70 kg or less, you should be ok as long as your trailer in not too nose heavy. I dont know if you are alowed a little more as the rack is bolted behind the tow ball? Google what your nose weight is on your vehicle as some cars are more or less e.g up to 07 mondeo is 70kg!

Hi All

I already have a bike rack but will soon need to move two bikes about. For storage reasons, and flexibility can I use the rack and tow a single bike trailer at the same time? Big 4x4 so weight etc not a problem, more of a practical / legal question I guess.

thanks in advance.

Answers will probably vary depending on the laws in different parts of the world. Probably a good idea to add a location to your profile or say where you are so you can get relevant answers.

I have a nissan Pathfinder and tried down this route. I took my car to the guy who fitted the tow bar to get him to put the bike rack and tow on together but he refused saying that it would be illegal and I wouldn't be insured in the event of an accident.

He said that yes my car could easily handle the weight of my bike plus single bike trailer with a bike on but the possibility of carrying a heavier trailer whenever I like stopped him from legally fitting them both at the same time.

My advice would be to buy a triple trailer and sell the rack.

I'm in the UK too !

I think dilbert93's statement that he drives a BIG 4X4 is a give away!

Proper towing truck! towing limit of three to three and a half tonnes (as with Land Rovers) and a nose wight limit of 170 kg. NOT a Mondeo's 70 kg. Also an unbraked three bike trailer is probable getting very close to a small hatch back's unbraked towing limit.

Unless you insure a trailer / caravan separably No towed load is insured! Your car/truck insurance only allows you to tow. NOT cover the tow!

I found this out to my cost when I had some prat run into my caravan when I was stationery a few months back.

Edited by p@ul250

Apart from the legal issues (and I am not qualified to answer that) the main point is will you have enough articulation ? Basically you will need a very long snout on the trailer otherwise the bike on the trailer could come round onto the bike onto the rack.

I have had 1 on a rack and 3 on a trailer and a bobbie who was also a trials rider said it wasn't legal although he didn't go into details