I Think This Could Be A Sprite Trials Bike!

laird387

Hi,

Burrowing through old photo files I came across this Alan Vines image taken in the 1970 Knut Trophy.

I think it was Dennis Jones on his Frank Hipkin Sprite - but, as you may guess, I'm not a minibike person so need help to confirm it?

Am I right or wrong?

Hi Guys.

Hi Deryk.

With only a picture of his throttle hand it is difficult,

But I would say it is Dennis, by the fact he has no glove, and the tight Barbour jacket.

Dennis never wore gloves, he would probably say he could not afford them.

After a long search to find where Dennis now is.

While we were finding out the History of the Sprite mark, while Frank was still alive.

And Chris Leighfield. Chris told me he was in Spain somewhere.

Out of the Blue Dennis mailed me from there and told me what he is. Now doing, and apparently,he is still poddging them now and again.

Thought you would like this bit of information Deryk, and if you read this Dennis mail me, OK.

Regards Charlie.

• Like 1

Hi Guy's.

Just got back to using the I-Mac. after a week.

And the plot now becomes clear.

Sparks is absolutely right on both counts.

Now I-Pads are good but they do have a mind of there own. and would only show me half of the pictures no matter what.

It also conjured up a new word last night on the Ariel Carb -Pre65 forum. "Revalent" in stead of relevant which was ideal for the subject. So watch out they are trying to take over the world.

Happy New Year Guy's.

Regards Charlie. :icon_salut: www.bsaotter.com

Thanks Charlie

On the subject of Barbour / Belstaff suits, if you rode at a certain level could you get

a Barbour / Belstaff suit made to measure? Mine never seemed long enough in the leg

(even worse than the trousers in the Jon Bliss picture).

Whereas the trousers on Jonah are good and he was/is a tall chap.

Regards

Sparks

Edited by sparks2
  • Like 2

I remember purchasing my Belstaff Trialmaster suit from Monty Banks , Vallance Rd, E1.

Monty let me have it at cost as I was still at school, lasted me about 15 years ,and the trousers could stand up on their own! They were still a couple of sizes too big for me even after all that time!

Modern clothing has its benefits!

Hi,

Another image of a Sprite from the offroadarchive, taken at the Bemrose trial in 1967, it shows Johnny Roberts on his 125cc Sachs-engined Sprite.

Johnny had a motorcycle shop in Stockport and was an active member of the Manchester 17 club.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-84310800-1388866780_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

Hi,

Another image of an old friend - I bought a James trialler off him - Chris Leightfield, spotted by Alan Vines in the 1967 Perce Simon trial.

Chris was supported by Frank Hipkin on this 250cc Sprite.

Enjoy

post-19290-0-69670200-1388948337_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387
  • Like 1

Hi,

Another slightly puzzling picture - submitted to ORR but not actually used - shows Pat Lamper in the Bath & West club's Spring Cup trial in 1970 photographed by Alan Vines.

Now I reckon the bike is a Sprite - but is it? Could it be a development DOT - I wonder?

Cheers

post-19290-0-57613600-1389025485_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387
  • Like 1