Gear Shifter Not Returning To Starting Position

moochy

Hi, just been saying how reliable my 04 txt pro has been since I got it earlier in the year then the dreaded kiss of death strikes, came off my bike today and bike landed on left side, after crash lever seemed to stay down after selecting down a gear ant up after selecting up a gear not returning to original position, as I am new to trials I have not experienced this before, and my mechanical skills are minimal, is this a big job to rectify and is it possible to try my self, many thanks ?

You can pray that it is the top hat and return spring. 10$ in parts and about an hour work. Which requires the clutch basket to be removed. With the shifter not returning, it could be a broken shift shaft assembly. That requires a whole engine tear down.

Before you tear into the cases, check the easy things first. Is the shift lever dragging on the left engine case? If not, check the shift mechanism inside the clutch housing. Search Youtube for the Jim Snell GasGas videos. He has one all about proper adjustment of the mechanism. This will give you a great visual of what the shifter mechanism is and how it should work. You can decide if that is within your skills to fix yourself.

Good luck. And yes, we all crash from time to time.

Thanks for the reply guys,

I'm hoping its the top hat and return spring then as a engine tear down is out of my capabilities I would presume, the lever is clear of the casing and I can still change gear although not all that smoothly, I will check Jim snells video and take things from there, many thanks again guys

Both ends of the spring is there? Most of the time you cannot tell the top hat is broke without removing it. It breaks were the small piece sits at the end of the shift shaft. Did you try the shifter while looking at it closely? Myself I would pull it off and try the shifter without it. Be careful of that spring. Safety classes and all. The correct thing to do is zip tie the ends of the springs together and the spring slides off with the top hat.

You might want to pull the shift shaft (the one the foot lever attaches to) out and see if it is straight. Buddy of mine bent his in a crash. Bike would shift, but not right, and would pop out of second gear into neutral.

Once we found it, a couple thumps with my 2 pound persuader and it was all better. Material was not heat treated so it bent back and didn't break.

Let us know how you get on.

***Edit 1-10-2014. Please see correction from Lineaway that follows. This info applies to non-"Pro" models. Thanks.

Edited by thats_a_five

That`s a five, the Pro motor does not work that way! If you have never worked on a Pro motor, it is totally different!! The motor has to be split on the Pro for the shift shaft to be removed.

Edited by lineaway

That`s a five, the Pro motor does not work that way! If you have never worked on a Pro motor, it is totally different!! The motor has to be split on the Pro for the shift shaft to be removed.

Thanks for the correction Lineaway. My frame of reference was the non-Pro "edition" models.

• Like 1

Unfortunately its a fair bet that you have bent the shaft or kinked the selector "pawl" mechanism both of which probably mean splitting the cases. It the lever feels as if its sticky and rubbing try to see if its bent and slip a bit of tube on to bend it straight. If the shaft moves freely but the gears don't select easily, it is likely the "chain link" types pawls are kinked. If you are running on automatic transmission fluid, try switching to 10W-40 or light 75-80 gear oil. It may improve after a few hour riding. Also check that the little piece of square section metal in the end of the top hat is not kinked or partially sheared.

My son broke the "safety fuseable part" described before that is on the very end of the shift shaft, behind the clutch, on his 06 pro years back. when this happened, the shaft would stay where ever you pushed it, but what was funky was you could shift the bike with a quick jab of the pedal/lever. it seemed that that fusable link was tight enough on the shaft, and where it broke would almost catch good enough to shift, occasionally though... But not good enough to return the shifter to "center" which at 1st baffled me, I was afraid that more stuff was ruined until I fixed it with the $15 fusable link part... I took the cover off, cluch out, pulled that part off the shaft off, it came off in 2 pieces as it should have, and put new on on, all was good. The red arrow points to the part we broke. In the center (visible in drawing) is the little breakable center pin like metal piece. His stayed in place, and like I said broke with enough jaggyness that it tried to shift due to diggin in and friction I guess. You can check that part really easily, by moving the lever.

My guess though is, we could rotate the shifter 360 degrees, if you cannot, then you might have broken something past that (as inside the gearbox at the drum (Parts outlined as part#28 is inside the cases, and part #13 gets damaged when it failed to break the part I'm pointing to...

post-105-0-14179400-1389724154_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

My son broke the "safety fuseable part" described before that is on the very end of the shift shaft, behind the clutch, on his 06 pro years back. when this happened, the shaft would stay where ever you pushed it, but what was funky was you could shift the bike with a quick jab of the pedal/lever. it seemed that that fusable link was tight enough on the shaft, and where it broke would almost catch good enough to shift, occasionally though... But not good enough to return the shifter to "center" which at 1st baffled me, I was afraid that more stuff was ruined until I fixed it with the $15 fusable link part... I took the cover off, cluch out, pulled that part off the shaft off, it came off in 2 pieces as it should have, and put new on on, all was good. The red arrow points to the part we broke. In the center (visible in drawing) is the little breakable center pin like metal piece. His stayed in place, and like I said broke with enough jaggyness that it tried to shift due to diggin in and friction I guess. You can check that part really easily, by moving the lever.

My guess though is, we could rotate the shifter 360 degrees, if you cannot, then you might have broken something past that (as inside the gearbox at the drum (Parts outlined as part#28 is inside the cases, and part #13 gets damaged when it failed to break the part I'm pointing to...

Thanks your answer has saved me a load of work.

I've just rebuilt the engine and it has been fine for the first couple of short rides then the gear leaver starts to stop returning and yes could be rotated 360 deg.

A quick search on this forum bought up your answer.

My first thoughts had been to just rip the engine back out and tear it down again.

Clutch cover off , clutch out, all looked ok but the spring was not moving, clip off and it was not until I pulled the top hat out that I saw it had broken.

Phew ,,,, :beer: