Gas Gas Gearbox Oil Mixes With Petrol?

renegade master

Hi Guys, ok long story short my gas gas was leaking out petrol from the exhaust manafold when i tried to start it.... when i removed the carb petrol came flowing out from the reed block, I tilted up the bike vertical to let the petrol come out, quite a lot was in there! I then cleaned the carb and put it back on, the bike started up.... but then brown milky oil/pertol came leaking out of the plastic casing on the fly wheel side? so off with the fly wheel to see where it was comming out of, it was leaking out from the seal at the shaft where the flywheel bolts on to! so we then droped the gearbox oil and it was full of petrol/gearbox oil and was well over the 450ml mark when I took it out... does this mean that I have done in a seal? or because the gearbox/crank case was over full it leaked out of the seal at the flywheel shaft,

could it be that when petrol mixed with ATF oil it became more thinner and was able to get past the seal at the flywheel shaft........

Thanks

Regards,

Colin.

post-19212-0-68368200-1389315298_thumb.jpg

Can't be sure as I generally have the crank out to do bearings at the same time as seals. Quite often you can put self tapping screws into the seal then tug it out with a panel pulling slide hammer. I have sucessfully used this method on ignition side crank seals, fork seals and gearbox output shaft seals

Be very careful with the self-tapping screws. It does work but, I did that once and the screw went too far and damaged the bearing cage. Then I had to dig deeper to replace the bearing and the seal. I now use a thin punch to bend the seal can away from the bore and pry it out.

Ok guys update on progress with the gas gas,,,,, I just put new tran oil in the gearbox and started the bike up and the seals didnt leak so I think the bike should be ok? (i hope)

.... this is what we found when cleaning the carb, it was a bit sandy in some of the ports and the choke leaver was very stiff..... the most thing that stood out was the needle valve with the red rubber tip, this was very sticky and sometimes didnt move at all...... we cleand/free up that and have no problems since! but from now on I shut off the fuel tap after use....

Ok thanks again everybody for the info and help

post-19212-0-11173300-1389578598_thumb.png

much appreciated

Keep riding!

Regards,

Colin