Very Random Youth National Thoughts

alan bechard

I will probably do this in a couple of installments as things come to me. Yes, I should really sit down and write a nice neat article, but that is not how my life is working at the moment so I will just try and get the scattered bits and pieces down on electrons so that hopefully some will pass on too the correct folks.

The first thing I must say is a huge thanks to Team Sherco USA and RYP, and especially Ryan and Brad. Right there with those guys of course is the entire TTC crew, especially Catherine, Charlie and Dan. There are tons more folks to mention both on the teams and especially from the STRA membership that spent their holiday weekend standing in the woods so our kids could compete at a premier level event. PLEASE, PLEASE, PLEASE, if I do not include your name here, do not feel unappreciated, because you are appreciated greatly.

For me, the Youth Nationals represents a thousand great little memories and one or two that have already gone by the wayside, so lets get on to some of the highlights.

Probably the biggest one for me and I know for Dean was that Friday night the wife heard that Ryan may not be commited to mind for anyone. Saturday morning I had Dean go ask him if he would consider minding for him some..... I cannot describe the look on my son's face when Ryan said he would. Christmas morning, a kid on a make a wish trip, I don't know, but I do not believe I have ever seen my son as happy as when he came back and said that Ryan would mind for him. He was just absolutely glowing.

I was fortunate enough to be able to hang back, and help with the bike and watch and learn as Ryan carefully guided my son through the paces. I am sure some of it was plain hero worship, but it was so great to see them work together through a section, Ryan's patient instructions held Dean's interest in rapt attention in ways that I have never been able to accomplish. So many times when riding with me, Dean will run through a section, scream "I got it" and blaze through without ever taking the time to really analyze what he was getting into. It was more than I could have hoped for.......

While it took some time for Dean to adjust riding styles and speeds, and to absorb the lessons that were coming his way, you could just see his attention to detail and his precision increasing each step of the way. I fully expected Ryan to do one loop or maybe two with Dean but he graciously hung in there all three loops on all three days. Words do not describe the incredible and special feeling that gave me.

A couple of quick highlights and I better go, Some of the comments were great, often heard was "couldnt you find a better minder for your kid?" "Thats cheating" "how'd you do that" and of course I did love, "what is this, the Sherco World Team comes to the Youth Nationals"

The one that really hit home for me was on loop 1 of day 3 section 6 which had a really, and I do mean really tricky down hill, off camber with roots and rocks turn back up hill that was simply wicked in it. A little background again, we call my son Slo- mo because of how fast he goes (kind of like calling my great dane Tiny) and Ryan looks at him and say's, Ok Dean this one looks really tricky so we are going to walk it 4 times and watch 3 riders go through before we ride it, Dean just looked up at him and said OK and then did it. I hope that attitude can stick.

More to come, just have to go for now.

Edited by Alan Bechard

alan

I sure was fortunate to meet you and have you for neighbor (next cabin) thanks for the breakfast and for missing fireworks to weld on kids bike. Its you and the many like you that makes trials what it is. Youth Nationals last year was planned as a one time adventure. we decided to come back this year and now am already planning for next year

John Hensley

Bolivar Mo

Thanks John, it was great to meet you and your family as well.

And on with the story, we should really steal a little bit from Honda,

"you meet the nicest people at a Trials"

The event itself was excellent, and you could see the Charlie Roberts influence there. Tight, technical, and very much concentrating on turns and cambers especially in the lower lines. It was amazing to me as I looked at the deceptively simple lines, and realized how much thought had went into making them straight forward, yet challenging, and especially safe so that they catered to a wide range of riders.

Bagger and I got hooked up Sunday evening and had a good time. He kept seeming to think that I was cooking lunch, but it is clear from anyone that was around that I am the breakfast kind of guy. I must bow down though to Baggers meatballs and spaghetti sauce, ohhhhh Mannnn, you want to talk about good, they were exceptional, he would put most Italian restaraunts out of business in these parts!

Some thoughts that really struck me along the way,

Everyone really pulls together to make sure that as good a time as possible is had by all. I saw all brands of bikes in all the different pits, the key part was keeping everyone together and running. I was really impressed at one point when I looked up, my daughter (Sherco rider) was on a log and too her right was Louise F helping her with encouragement, to her left was Ron Commo the Beta importer helping, and at the bottom was Dale Malasek the GG importer helping to show her where too go. I thought about how rare a sight it was when you have several different teams all working together for the common good of one rider. Made me feel good to be a part of it.

Some bike thoughts,

Bar position should be set to your child, sometimes that means rolling them back from what an adult would use. At the same time, do not roll the bars so far back that your childs wrists are bent up trying to hold on. They should be holding the bars, in a comfortable position with their wrists basicly straight.

If you have a very small child, consider cutting the bars so that their arms are not spread out wide. If you go to do a pushup, try spreading your arms out past shoulder width sometime and you will see how difficult it becomes. At the same time, as you cut them down shorter and shorter the child is loosing leverage. Cut in small increments and stop as soon as things are practical.

the bent out portion of the number plate goes on the top so as not to pinch the cables, particularly the throttle cable.

A white tube on the throttle is a fast or quick acting throttle and a black is a slow acting throttle. Many kids do better with a slow throttle. (Aluminum is even faster)

slightly larger rear sprockets slow a bike down, which often gives an extra second for the child to react in. Small kids seldom need top end speed as much as they need low end grunt.

The flap under the rear fender of a GG80 becomes a scoop instead of a protector to funnel dirt into the airbox if it is not clipped into it's slot on the rear fender.

Teach your children to check their bike out after each crash, check that the throttle works and that the control levers are all back to the proper position.

Take a disc of some form and show your children how a disc turns when leaned to the side and rolled. Maybe just roll a quarter on the floor or a frisbee and show how as it goes slower, and leans more, it turns tighter.

Man is it nice to fill Sherco gas tanks and see how much fuel I have. (I know, blatent Sherco plug, but it is true)

After seeing me overfill some other bikes and run gas all over the place, you would know why I say that.

What happened to Lane, didn't see his name in the top three open class. Did he dnf?

I guess I am not following. I believe that Lane's team did come in first in the Gate trials though but it was a bit unfair as they were the only team with two current competing "Pro" riders. <_<

I also had the good fortune of staying in the cabin next to Alan during the first part of the week for Kid's camp. He embodies everything good that you always hear about trials people. My son and I are fairly new to trials, and Alan never seemed to tire of answering questions and giving advice. He's quite thebreakfast chef, too.

THANKS!!

As far as Ryan working as Alan's son's minder, from a business prospective he could not pick a better family to help. Alan has to be Sherco's best non-employee spokesperson, praising both the bikes and their support to everyone who ask.

Bruce Arnold

Huntsville, AL

Having met Al in Duluth, I'd question his choice of alcohol - closest I've ever come to moonshine, I think! However, he does have the coolest sounding truck I've ever heard <_<

Andy, when you come over for the world rounds or so, and we are away from the kids, I will make sure you get a taste of real shine and there will be no confusion about how smooth my Apfelkorn is ... :D Kinnell did not seem to mind it too much.. <_<

Thanks for the comments Bruce, it was a pleasure meeting you guys as well.

Maybe as the year progresses we will see you out at some of the events?

Hanna, Christina and I will be back at TTC this weekend if you wanted to play at some easy going riding. Dean will be down playing Golf in Orlando...... Man, I hope the kids know how good they have it :lol: