Transporting Your Classic

laird387

Hi,

If you don't fancy a long trip, say to the Scottish from Somerset, and don't want the limitation of a trailer speed restriction all the way, one suggestion is to get yourself an old DOT trialler - 'cos with a little judicious spannerwork, they can fit in the back seat space of, say, an Austin A55 car!

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-34318000-1389872416_thumb.jpg

• Like 3

Did a similar thing once when I bought an Ossa gripper, there is a miss named trials bike if ever I knew one, from Sammys. All I had was a mini saloon so I took the seats out all but the drivers and removed the wheels and forks and somehow I got it in. Must admit they did look at me a bit strange. Then again people still do :chairfall:

• Like 2

Hi Guy's

I once got my 350 Gold Star ex Rod Gould racing bike in to the back of my Austin 1100, and trundled it all the way up to Cadwell,and had two punctures on the way, missed the start of the first heat, and was put in with the unlimited. then rammed up the back at the hairpin. "A Grand day out"

Happy Days.

Regards Charlie. :icon_salut: www.bsaotter.com

Hello there,

On a more modern theme. I've had a Montesa 4rt in the boot of a Mercedes. Dropped the front end ( forks, front wheel and mudguard complete ) slid out of the yolks. You can either remove the caliper or the brake master cylinder from the bars. Bar clamps loosened to fold bars down and remove the rear wheel and mudguard. This leaves you with a lump about 3.5ft long and 2ft high. About 10 mins work and it went straight into the boot. Simples !!! Oh and plenty of the wife's best bath towels incase I caught the bodywork. Where there's a will there's a way ! !!

Hello there,

On a more modern theme. I've had a Montesa 4rt in the boot of a Mercedes. Dropped the front end ( forks, front wheel and mudguard complete ) slid out of the yokes. You can either remove the caliper or the brake master cylinder from the bars. Bar clamps loosened to fold bars down and remove the rear wheel and mudguard. This leaves you with a lump about 3.5ft long and 2ft high. About 10 mins work and it went straight into the boot. Simples !!! Oh and plenty of the wife's best bath towels incase I caught the bodywork. Where there's a will there's a way ! !!

Sorry to chuckle - but 'yolks' are found inside eggshells, yokes attach fork legs to fork stem!

Cheers

Edited by laird387

I did the same thing in 1969 on our honeymoon in the Isle of Man for the Manx 2 day trial !!

Removed the wheels and forks and handlebars from my newly built D14 4B Bantam and slid it into the back of our Morris Minor 4 door with the rear seats taken out, no problems at all, where there's a will there's a way.

Had to reassemble in the back garden of our hotel much to the amusement of the members of the Sutton Town MCC including Bunny Ward, Dave Browning, Tom Pickering (where's he now ?) Barry McRoberts and Lew Geeson.

Incidentally,,, I had a good ride !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Galps

Edited by cub200
  • Like 1