Thoughts And Opinions.

elliotsdaddy

Hello all.

I have been itching to get a bike for a while now and I had a look at a 2004 Sherco 290 today. Its up for £995.

I had a really good chat to the owner, who gave me lots of great advice on what to look for in a bike and lots to think about with regards getting used to doing trials.

He said Steve Saunders does a trial day in Gloucestershire which was the best £65 he ever spent.

His lad is into his riding too so he seems like a genuine enthusiast which eases the nerves slightly.

He has got a '09 Beta at the moment, and the only reason for sale is that he tends to buy newer bikes and not really sell the old ones....he has a 1998 GasGas for sale as well!

Now I don't really know too much about what to look for but the obvious stuff seems in order.....forks dry after compression, no damage to the fork tubes. Brake pads in good order. Front and rear sprocket teeth are nice and straight. Everything that requires grease seems well lubed up. Clutch bite point was nice and progressive, not at all 'on' or 'off'. There was no smoke on start up. It's been stood for a fair few weeks so I wasn't expecting it to start on the button, but after 5 or 6 kicks she fired up. Both tyres are like brand new, and there is the added bonus of the engine being rebuilt 3hrs ago with new front and rear wheel bearings also.

Obviously the cosmetics are a little tired as to be expected with a 10 year old trial bike, but the frame is straight.

I had a little potter around the limited space available and it rides smooth....took a little while to adjust to standing up mind you, but i'm sure that will ease over time.

I said I needed to have a think and i asked about money....the lowest he will go is £900, but I did get out of him that he would consider an offer.

Can I have your thoughts please? At £900 it seems like a great buy.

buy it it will be always worth 900 if you look after it.

normally you would expect to buy pads and sprockets for that money.

check air filter btw.

they are simple and straight forward to work on easy maintenance, check mains before you buy.

Oooo yes I forgot to check that, thanks for the reminder.

It does seem well looked after, temptation......

sounds like a good deal mate

I was hoping someone would say that, haha. :)

won't get any trials bike in that condition cheaper-go for it !

Yeah I have been thinking the same...it's nice to know I'm not too far off the mark with this whole buying malarky.

You know with all this egging on it's gonna be difficult to do anything other than making a cheeky little purchase. :)