Changing Front Tyre

bowdrinker

You'll need some real tire irons...not screwdrivers.

Don't worry, they're cheap.

Get long ones.

Remove the wheel.

Take the core out of the valve. If you don't have a core remover, get one when you buy the tire irons. They're cheap, too.

Then take the nut off the rim lock(s). That's the thing that looks like the valve stem, but isn't.

Then, you need to 'break' the bead. On a front tire, you should be able to do this by hand.

Put the wheel flat on a bucket (or similar), put both hands on the sidewall (180 degrees apart), and push down hard.

You'll know it when the bead comes off the edge of the rim and moves toward the spoke nipples.

Free the bead all around the rim.

Now, get your tire iron between the rim and the bead and pry the bead up.

Hold that iron where it is, and insert the next iron about 4" away and pry.

Leave the first iron in and go around the tire with the other iron until the tire is free.

REMEMBER---there is a tube in there. Try not to pinch it between the tire and rim.

Reach in and pull out the tube.

Push the rim lock bolt into the rim.

Reach inside the tire, pull the rim lock out, and say, "Dang [blimey], so that's what it looks like."

Now, break the other bead.

Then, stand the wheel up with the bead that's completely off facing you.

Push the iron under the bead from the far side, and put the tip on the edge of the rim closest to you. Lever the iron towards you and the tire should pop off.

Pump up the tube to see if you put any holes in it.

Replacement, as they say, is the reverse of removal, but the main challenge is to get the tire on without pinching the tube.

If you're strong and use plenty of soapy water, you can put it on without the irons.

After you get the first bead on, then put the rimlock and the tube in; then seat the second bead.

If you have to use the iron, this is where you'll pinch the tube.

All of the books say to put enough air in the tube to have it take shape, but, to me, this just gets it closer to the tool. I keep the tube empty and stick my fingers in as I go and push it out of harm's way.

Wherever you are trying to get the tire on the rim, make sure the bead of the tire 180 deg away is down in the 'drop center' of the rim...touching the spoke nipples.

When it's all together, soap it up really well and fill it with air.

That bead that you tried so hard to unseat needs to seat, and the soap will help it slip on.

Look very closely around the tire near the rim and make sure the tire is right against the edge of the rim, and there will probably be a little seam around the tire---make sure it is the same distance from the rim all around.

You may need 50 or 60 psi to get it to seat.

Use plenty of soapy water, and if you can't get it to fully seat all around after several deflations (and putting soap on the trouble spots), fill it up to 50psi and let it sit for awhile.

Do't forget to put the nut back on the rim lock and leave the nut off the valve stem.

If you do this for the first time without pinching the tube, you're way ahead of the game.

However it goes, you will need several pints when you are done.

I try to avoid soapy water, what makes the tyre easy to slip on makes it easy to slip off (at 6psi).

Use a motocross tyre for practice then the trials tyre will just fall on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

However it goes, you will need several pints when you are done.

Excellent description by Charlie but usually I insert this part earlier in the process!

By the way my trials bike is not a Yamaha. Will this method still work?

Frank <_<