Older Specials

laird387

Hi,

Often trials enthusiasts are inveterate specials builders - and none more so than our German friends, many of whom find interesting ways of creating a machine from difficult to source parts.

Just such an example was seen in the 2001 Talmag. R Bohrer brought this Triumph pre-unit twin motor, squeezed into a replica Ariel HT frame, driving through an Enfield Bullet gearbox.

Many would have searched long and hard for a more suitable gearbox which is just too wide at where the ankle should be - and trials internals for such a 'box are of the hen's teeth variety.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-65122800-1390376839_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

The end of January is Talmag time and the event at Hungry Hill near Aldershot is both enjoyable and difficult for me. Problem is how to photograph the sheer number of potential class winners in the huge entry and not missing anyone while on the move between sections.

The variety of bikes is always an added bonus and rarities like Ben Penny's Vincent Comet make for a different type of trials photograph, seen by Offroad Archive in the 2000 Talmag.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-42037000-1391448668_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387

Hi,

Tom Barker, from Stroud, rode successfully in trials after he finished scrambling.

Here he is seen in the Bath and Wests Spring Cup in 1971 on his 250 Barvel.

Tom made his own frame, fitted BSA forks, an Ariel tank and a Velocette MOV engine. Tom did much work on the gearbox to get the

ratios right. In its day the Barvel was one of the last true fourstroke specials to compete against the moderns.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-78759100-1391947531_thumb.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Not all ‘specials’ were of the ‘Bedstead’ variety, this Triumph powered special, ridden here by Ron Pullinger was really quite a Bitsa, but performed very well – dare we see significantly better than any of Henry Vale’s contemporary offerings? Should it have been called a Tribsa – but what’s the origin of those front forks?

I believe Ron bought the machine at a classic show-cum-autojumble, and it was, at the time, in roadster format.

Definitely interesting - photographed by Cecil Bailey.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-03403800-1393073342_thumb.jpg

Hi,

After making a gaff yesterday I decided to 'play the white man' and post a helpful image to show i've mended my ways.........

This is Club Captain, at the time (1992), of the Yorks Classic club, Bill Hill with his Royal Enfield based motorcycle.

Needless to say, the 'titfer' would now be illegal - and more's the pity.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-51290700-1393600468_thumb.jpg

Hi,

After making a gaff yesterday I decided to 'play the white man' and post a helpful image to show i've mended my ways.........

This is Club Captain, at the time (1992), of the Yorks Classic club, Bill Hill with his Royal Enfield based motorcycle.

Needless to say, the 'titfer' would now be illegal - and more's the pity.

Enjoy.

Yes, illegal in more ways than one.

That's impersonating an officer. That would be almost enough to lose my pension.

Regards

sparks

(No problem actually Sparks - it wasn't a very good impersonation............), Deryk

Edited by laird387

Hi,

Another avid 'specials' builder, not because he wanted a highly competitive bike - but because he was a 'Panther' from Cleckheaton man, through and through!

Dave Thornber with his version of a 'Stroud' trials model, I think with a frame from a 1947 (or thereabouts) model 60/70 and the motor looks to me like a 1937 model 85.

The gearbox is the Burman as used by the Stroud and the forks are the correct Dowty oleomatic units. The tank is of foreign origin!

Dave always enjoyed himself, mainly riding locally with the Yorks Classic club.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-93705800-1393659959_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

i remember dave Thornber, not for riding an his panther but for his means of transporting it to trials... to get to trials he rode a panther with a flatbed sidecar upon which was mounted his trials bike.. only in yorkshire.

(Sorry, totalshell,

You are showing your {lack of} age!!!!!! Admittedly I am a Yorkshire Tyke but when I did my obligatory time in the RAF I was posted to Cosford as an electronics instructor, and joined the Market Drayton club where six of us each had sidecars as personal transport and on Sundays we lifted the sidecar off, put a plank across the sidecar chassis and mounted the trials bike on it.

The local dealer was Abrahams in Market Drayton and their workshop foreman, Tom Wycherley, used an old Panther with a float sidecar to collect and deliver motorcycles.

Happy days!!!!!!

Deryk Wylde)

Edited by laird387

Hi,

Including a 'Pre-65' class in the Perce Simon trial obviously increased the work load for the organisers so it was a welcome sight to see the venture so well supported by the riders of classic machinery.

Andrew Hardy on one of the technically very interesting Hardy Triumph 350s at the Perce Simon trial. Not all the replicas or the youngsters were in the scrambles orbit!

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-25467200-1394096900_thumb.jpg