Magnetic Kill Switches ?

cabby

At the end of the day it each to their own, what ever works best for you. My magnetic kill switch should arrive today and I'm planning on fitting it between the grip and the clutch lever for left hand operation, I will see how I get on with it Sunday...

I originally thought about mounting the switch next to the grip, but you get quite a loop hanging down below the bars, so I moved the switch closer to the centre of the bars, where there's less of a loop, just a thought.

Jitsie switches are just branded Leonelli ones but the apico switches are different. In my opinion Jitsie/Leonelli feel better made with a stronger more positive contact. They are a few quid dearer. You can't use a apico magnet on a Leonelli switch as they have opposite polarities.

We all have them fitted and they have served their purpose a good few times when ambition outweighed talent. Keeps the kids safer and the engine rebuilds are kept to the minimum

• Like 2

I think the rider should attach the land-yard around one of their ankles. It would make you think twice about taking a dab as it would not only cost you dab but also kill the bike for a five........ :hyper:

Now........ am I serious or what :P

Edited by billyt
  • Like 3

I originally thought about mounting the switch next to the grip, but you get quite a loop hanging down below the bars, so I moved the switch closer to the centre of the bars, where there's less of a loop, just a thought.

I ended up with this set-up in the end, mainly due to the wires not being long enough to reach the connecting points without a join but as ourian said the lanyard doesn't loop down which is good.

• 2 weeks later...

Jitsie switches are just branded Leonelli ones but the apico switches are different. In my opinion Jitsie/Leonelli feel better made with a stronger more positive contact. They are a few quid dearer. You can't use a apico magnet on a Leonelli switch as they have opposite polarities.

We all have them fitted and they have served their purpose a good few times when ambition outweighed talent. Keeps the kids safer and the engine rebuilds are kept to the minimum

agreed. + the lionelli one on my gasser is very well made and has performed faultlessly whereas the apico one on my ty is a cheap copy and lasted no more than 7 hours before it refused to cut the engine. you get what you pay for. not the first time I have been dissapointed with apico stuff.

Edited by shipdamite
  • Like 1

has anyone lengthened theirs at all? i'm cutting off the engine every time i wipe sweat out of my eyes, get cobwebs off my face, or go to turn off the gopro if filming a section. i was thinking of adding an extra foot or two but wondered if it is likely to get caught up on stuff as it would be hanging down from the bars...

I don't know how long you've been using it, but I don't have these problems at all. Been using it for about a year now.

The lanyard is on my left wrist and all the stuff you talk about, I do with my right hand so...no problemo

• Like 2

I have used my lioneli for some time now. My ignorance has caused a few fives but i keep it on my left. Two years ago a buddies gg ran away due to a twisted throttle he didnt check. I can afford the occasional five due to ignorance. Every marker I miss can attest to that. I dont want to afford a new jug piston and lower end. Why I have this is because i have seen three bikes in my life die due to run away. I have also seen a good friend almost mauled due to run away. For the cost I cant justify any other kill switch.

With that being said I have a few suggestions. Make a spare lanyard out of a bra strap. Name it something awkward (I named mine "Nancy") so when your buddy forgets his he has to ride all day with the name "Nancy". Secondly go and find yourself a replacement version of the strap. If you have velcro on your gloves you will destroy the OEM strap. Joann Fabric here in Merica sells a great alternative for not that much. Third don't get lazy and wrap the thing around your handle bars. Adapt and get used to wearing it. It will save your bike. Lazyness has never saved a bike.

--Biff

• Like 1