Small Boys Toys

neils on wheels

I've just been reading last weeks TMX review of the Vic Brittain (I know it was ten days ago). What struck me as interesting was Iwan Roberts placing third on the A route on a 125 Beta and Chris Alford winning the 50/50 route on a 125 Gas Gas.

It makes you think about how much bike you really need and how many riders might actually improve their technique and even their results on a smaller engine bike.

This is a subject that has concerned me for some time. Travelling to World and European rounds I have witnessed some awesome performances on 125cc bikes yet some people in this country, in some areas more than others, parents seem to think that Johnny has to have the biggest bike available. People really need to be aware of road traffic regulations where road work is involved and note that riders will be restricted to smaller bikes until they are much older.

Another point to note is that the ACU Trials and Enduro committee have kept the 125cc class in the S3 series despite small entries specifically for this reason.

As for Iwan Roberts he is a very special talent and he will go far.