The 2002 Talmag Trophy

laird387

Hi,

The reports posted on TC of this year's Talmag showed, on the whole, a large bunch of contributing members who had thoroughly enjoyed themselves in spite of the vile weather - indeed there are a couple of comments that it is a great pity that this annual gathering of old machinery seems to happen exclusively in those Talmag woods - and what a pity you never see them anywhere else.

Sadly this, to me, highlights the inherent problems of the classic scene - simply because the Talmag was not an event on its own in times gone by - we used to meet at least half of the Talmag entries at the other trials in the British Bike championship - because the sections were intentionally kept to a standard that genuine machines in their classes could cope with.

For the Wylde family the Talmag was just another weekend in the calendar. Whilst I was still riding it was getting ready on the Saturday, then off at the crack of dawn, bike on the rack or on the trailer, load of spare copies of the latest Review to sell to potential subscribers, picnic food and drinks and plenty of warm clothing and away.

We usually were one of the first on to the big sandy arena of the Start area, greeted old friends as they turned up, my two daughters signed on as observers, Mary checking her camera gear and me getting ready for the off. And the day sped by - thankfully I rarely recall rain at Aldershot.

When I stopped riding, Mary and I used to join the section marking out party on Saturday and help lay out sections, then a quick bite to eat in the early evening before joining the inevitable get together in the White Hart in Farnham for the Talmag club members, and many of the foreign riders visiting the trial, then home late at night and back early complete with cameras - because every year we gave comprehensive coverage in ORR.

Happy days.

I intend to post a series of the 2002 Talmag images today, to try and give the flavour of the day.

The first is John Excell on his very tidy rigid Matchless.

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-30976800-1390901152_thumb.jpg

Hi,

Roger Ashby was a keen and helpful member of the AJS & Matchless Owners Club - we were fellow committee members when I was persuaded to take over the vacant editor's job on the 'Jampot' club magazine.

Roger had created a bike based on what the factory would have used in the ISDT events, where they were very successful - a handful in standard trials but Roger just enjoyed it - "I can always blame the bike - and get sympathy......"

Enjoy.

post-19290-0-72145200-1390902987_thumb.jpg

Edited by laird387
  • Like 1

Hi,

The Talmag always included some very interesting creations in the form of 'specials' - here in 2002 is John Pym with his 'Trifield', using a modified Royal Enfield Crusader chassis into which a Triumph 3TA motor unit is skilfully slotted - lovely machine to hear!

post-19290-0-53786900-1390904189_thumb.jpg

• Like 1