Oil In Flywheel Cover

breagh

As above pals 2010 250 pro,mixture oil and water in flywheel cover.

Any remote chance it's transmission oil?

Or as I think it's coming via crank seal then mixing with water that's got into the cover.

Many thanks. for replies.

I would change the seal, its and easy job, I did one the other night it took about half an hour. It wasn't on a pro though.

top tip.. as I didn't want to take flywheel off before ordering seal, I found one on a website, blew up the image and got the seal number. Then ordered a Viton seal from simply bearings at a third of the price. Simples!

Top tip 2. before removing old seal I wanted to check number but couldn't read it even with my glasses on. So took photo with smart phone blew up image, The numbers were amazingly clear.

Hope this helps.

TLTEL

:unsure: Where are you referring to that needs a breather, the flywheel cover or the gearbox?

The pro has a gearbox breather just in front of the drive sprocket, but the f/w cover should just have a 3mm hole in the bottom of it.

amazes me that there isnt a breather on the pro.............. lots of condensation from here. at both ends of the spectrum, my ktm 300 exc and ty 175 both have breathers. I might make one for the pro - easy enough to do.

I add a breather to all my Trials bikes, since the early Bultaco days. Never had a water ingestion problem.

Jon

post-2532-0-30348400-1391212749_thumb.jpg

Edited by jse
  • Like 1

I used to use an old Mikuni main jet for my ignition cover vents. Drill the correct size hole, tap the metric threads, put a dab of sealer in in the threads part of the hole, screw in the main jet, and slide a hose over it. I also used to drill a small hole for water to drain out, as well, somewhere on what appeared to be the very bottom of the cover, I figured if water could get in, I'd give it a way out........

There's defintely simpler/cheaper fixes out there. Jon, what do you use for that fitting? Is it something with a hose barb on it?

Back on topic, is it possible at all that the oil he's seeing could be chain oil that got flung up in there somehow? As in maybe there's not a good seal between the cover & the case?

Jimmie

Edited by mr neutron