Ty80 Ignition Wiring

john b

Hi there

Just bought an ignition tune up kit for my sons Whitehawk 80 and when refitting, I think it may have been wired incorrect previously (or I'm wiring it up wrong !).

This is how I think it should be - hopefully someone can clarify !

Main ignition wire from coil into stator plate is joined 3 way with the stator coil wire, and a wire to condenser. Condenser then has another wire to the points.

Hopefully this makes sense !

cheers and thanks in anticipation for the help

cheers

John

The source coil will should have a connection to earth, it may be hidden or it may be a visible black or black / white wire.

A wire will come from the other end of the source coil to the points. A wire will come from the other side of the points to the HT coil. The centre pin on the condenser should be connected to this wire. Make sure the plastic insulating washers on the points assembly are in the right place.

Some bikes may have a diode in the wire between the points and the HT coil, I think the diode can be removed.

Some points are faulty from new in that they have excess resistance in the riveted connection. This significantly reduces current flow and makes the bike hard t start.