Rattling Gearbox/clutch Txt Pro 200

mikeyf18

Hi there, I recently purchased a 2002 gas gas txt pro 200 which I was told needed a new clutch. Once the bike was home I stripped the clutch down cleaned up the plates and re-assembled. however when the clutch was out I did notice some marks on the gearbox casing where it looks like the clutch has been catching. I presumed this was a maybe a problem from the past as it fitted back together fine, but after a couple of rides out it has started to get very noisy. so i decided to drain the gearbox oil and found some large pieces of metal stuck the the sump plug. could there be a washer missing that sits the clutch assembly further forward that has been removed at some point?? i did watch the clutch removal tutorial on youtube and it didn't seem as there is supposed to be anything. I have attached an image of the marks on the case if anyone has seen this before could you please tell me what is going wrong ??

Thanks

Mike

post-19569-0-61794200-1392738082_thumb.jpg

Firstly - the bits of missing / rubbed away metal in the photo are aluminium and would not stick to the sump plug magnet so you need to try to identify what the bits stuck to the plug are.

Have a look at the trials parts usa website where the Jon Stoodly videos can be found.

I suspect there may be a washer type shim missing or on in the wrong place but not having the engine in front of me can't be sure.

Firstly - the bits of missing / rubbed away metal in the photo are aluminium and would not stick to the sump plug magnet so you need to try to identify what the bits stuck to the plug are.

Have a look at the trials parts usa website where the Jon Stoodly videos can be found.

I suspect there may be a washer type shim missing or on in the wrong place but not having the engine in front of me can't be sure.

dadof2, looks like it to me too. There should be a thin steel washer on the hub shaft and, like the kickstart shaft washer, usually sticks to the sidecase and clutch basket hub and falls off before reassembly.

Based on the contour of the grooves and location, I'm wondering if a tang broke off the shift centering spring and got caught up in the back of the basket. It still does not explain the steel bits on the sump plug magnet, which will need investigation.

And thanks for the compliment for the videos (and all the other info on his website) but they are made by Jim Snell, the parts importer for GasGas in the U.S. Jim has probably forgotten more that I know about the GasGas bikes....:)

Jon

What does the bottom of the clutch basket look like? If it has ribs in the same location as the grooves on the case, then it is likely missing a thin steel washer as Jon described. If not, then I suspect either a shift pall as described by Jon or part of a starter gear that failed in the past.

As Dadof2 said, the case and clutch basket are aluminum and will not stick to a magnet. Did you happen to keep those broken pieces you took off the magnet? A pic of those might help identify where they came from.

Meanwhile I would suggest you do regular oil change and close inspection of the drain plug. Metal parts will fall to the bottom of the box but when the bike gets upside down, the parts can fall into places where you really do not want them.