Pictures - Sheered Head Bolt

mckinlay1

hi guys , i was out on my gas gas txt 270 1998 earlier today and after coming down a facing on the bing i bounced in between a track and the bottom and bailed! after a run down and a good laugh at myself i discovered this -

post-19626-0-76895900-1392749567_thumb.jpg

has anyone had this problem before ? and what is the best way to fix it ?

thanks

post-19626-0-53510500-1392749669_thumb.jpg

Edited by mckinlay1

The repair involves removing the wheel, bars, forks and triple clamps. As DMartinson said, the stem is installed into the bottom triple clamp with a press.

The best thing would be to replace the stem (and do the bearings while you are in there). Another choice would be to see if you can find a bottom triple with the stem from on of the bike breakers.

Not gonna be cheap. :wall:

I did that on my 2003. I think the nut was loose and allowed too much movement when my fat :moon: landed after launching across a gap.

Don't remember the cost of new one $40-60 US maybe. Needed a press to pop old one out and new one in. Actually not too bad to do, just finding a press was a little tough.

Done that on my 2000 TXT 280, did that on my 2004 pro 300. Zippy's right don't let your head bolt get too loose. In a pinch i drilled it out and used a cariage bolt to clamp the pieces together on a saturday night to make a sunday event.... Not recommended by anyone but got me though a day. Most of the observers were well warned. :)

--Biff