Setting The Front/rear Sprocket Gear Ratio For Single Tracks

levis

• 4 weeks later...

Ok I've got some news.

Instead I wanted to have more power since the mountain tracks are steep. So i've tried a 10 teeth front sprocket with 42 th rear and I felt a lot of fun riding at slow to middle speed but first and second gears were useless and the bike was too slow at full speed.

So now, I would try a compromise. Putting one or two teeth on the rear sprocket (43 or44) keeping the 11 teeth on Front.

Which one do you recommend?

Thanks

Edited by levis

Sounds like just a 12 tooth CS would've put you where you want to be ...

If I'm not mistaken 12 teeth would put me to an even less throttle response which is something I'm not looking for when riding steep tracks. So I tried the opposit way with a 10 tooth CS but as I said above It's too much.

My question was about the rear sprocket...

Edited by levis

hi.

First off I have never ridden a 300 4 stroke trials bike, but I am guessing it has plenty of torque and that 1st gear is pretty much useless on the tracks.

Therefore if you raised the front sprocket by one tooth (assuming that it will actually fit in the space around the shaft)that should help to make 1st gear a bit more usable and should also give more top end speed if you need it, not sure what will happen to the other gears but they will all obviously be higher.

Chain will probably be long enough so cost is minimal and its easy enough to change back, if you wanted to use the bike for what it was designed for.

It seems to me that if you try 43/44 with the 11 front it will be similar to the 10/42 setup and I think you are going the wrong way.

sometimes you can get lucky with the gearing changes but only you know what you want to achieve.

Maybe its the motor that needs tweaking and not the gearing.

Maybe you should swap it for KTM

TLTEL

What do I want?

Ok I ride with a mate that have a 290 beta 2 strokes engine and of course his front wheel lift easily than mine. But mine was ok with the 10/42 but the transmission looked not tuned right and my speed was way too low compare to him. Now with the 11/42 my speed is ok but the front feels a bit too heavy when I try to lift it. For instance, now It's difficult to keep riding with the front wheel up. I point out that I'll won't go back to a 2 strokes engine for many reasons but that's an other story.

Just trying to get the right spot. The 11/43 ratio might not be significant for responsiveness but still good for top speed but the 11/44 could be the best but I'm scare I'll have to buy a longer chain.

Edited by levis