Buying A Lemon.....

cactusjack

So the other day I bought a bike that was sold to me as a 2009 TXT Pro 300. The bike had a hard life, I could see that when I looked at it, and I am a mechanic, but on initial inspection and with a brief ride all appeared ok.

Geez, was I wrong. Firstly, when I test rode, for a few minutes only, the motor seemed quiet and ok. I got the bike home and rode it the next day for 20 minutes or so and as it got hotter it got noisier. A real tappy, clicky type noise. Something I had not heard in my limited time with 2T's. I googled my ass off and found that they are a fairly noisy motor. Still I am pretty sure at that point that this wasn't the normal Gasser noises.

The night I brought it home I also thought I would check out the chassis number and it appears that it is actually a 250 that has had a 300 barrel put on it. So after being sold a TXT Pro 300, I had actually bought a 250. Kicking myself for not researching the chassis number beforehand.

I rode it some more and the gearbox oil came up very milky looking. Next problem............ :stupid: I am not happy at this stage and am thinking the worst about the bike. He had said he had just done the water pump, but it seemed a little too much milk for it to be residual water in the gearbox. I am getting more and more annoyed at myself for being a bit hasty on the purchase and was wishing there was concourse for return. Unfortunately though, there isn't.

I drained the oil, which came out not too milky in the end, and seems to show less water problems than originally thought. Some silver lining starting to appear. Then I remove the oil filler plug and it is cross threaded like a *******. What a butcher that I bought this off. I remove the water pump and it all looks good, no water in the back of it, so that at least confirms residual water in the gearbox causing initial milkyness.

I have since removed the top end and it needs a piston and rings, as the rings were stuck fast in the piston. Maybe a cause of the noise I was hearing. Also the exhaust header was loose, another possible cause of the sound I heard, and this being the most likely cause, as the sound wasn't consistent or uniform like you would expect from a bearing sound. I have put it down to these two things. The bore is in ok condition, but will need a hone. A piston measurement confirms it is 300cc. So it would seem it is a 250 that has had a 300 barrel put on it. The big end bearing is tight and shows no signs of any wear. This is also a positive.

The Kickstart gear is missing 2 teeth and the others are grinding away, which explains the metal shavings on the magnetic filler plug. The carby needs a clean as it is leaking when the fuel is left on.

So that is the tale of my woes and bad start as a Gas Gas owner. I think things aren't as bad as I first thought, but there is still a few dollars to spend to bring it to a rideable state. I hope it holds up as a great ride once I have finished working on it.

Thanks for listening......... :thumbup:

• Like 2

Piston slap gets worse as the bike warms up. If it is this which is caused by a worn bore / piston it will be most noticble at low rpm. Ie blip the throttle it goes away as it returns to tick over you hear a rattle. In my experience every time you fit a new piston to a worn bore you end up back where you started after a couple of rides. Spend the extra and get the cylinder re coated to match your new piston and it will last a couple of years.

Bright side is it`s new enough that you can buy just the starter pawl and idler gear. Make sure the missing teeth did not travel and get stuck in the large primary gear. Just a little metal in between the teeth can make a hell of a racket!

Doesn't sound too bad £300 should fix it,250/300 are identical apart from top end.Kickstart assembly is thus strained with the bigger piston,not too bad to replace makesure no bits have embedded in the clutch/crankshaft gears,a tiny bit makes it knock like you wouldnt believe.You sometimes needs magnyfying glass to see it.The clutch normally rattles till you pull it in,Worth spending a bit of money and time on,it's not hugely different from a new one

Thanks guys.

I will measure up the barrel after giving it a good hone and make sure the clearances will be ok with the new piston, check my ring gap etc. If all measures up ok I will not bother re-coating the barrel.

A Wossner piston will cost me around $140 in 79.98mm. I need to price up gaskets etc, but they should be around the same money I would think. The kickstart gear may be a little expensive, but after that it'll be happy riding days all over again.