2015 Mont

jj65

That got your attention :0) what colours do you think we'll get next year?

I think it'll be white rear mudguard, white tank and white front mudguard (Honda colours) or white rear, red front and red tank (Montesa) black wheels, silver frame again.

Repsol will be factory rep with the wings on silencer and airbox,

What do you think?

Could also be a Fuji special to celebrate 20 years in the WTC !!!

There is an interesting implied assumption in this question, being that Montesa's 2015 development will be new coloured plastics.

I'd like to broaden the topic.

Having signed Toni Bou for four years to 2018, do you anticipate a significantly new Montesa at any point in this time?

The production 4RT was sold for nine years from 2005 to 2013 with the most minimal of updates. 2014 saw a little more development, but nothing too significant compared to their competitors over the same time period.

Honda finance the most expensive team in the WTC, they also have far lower unit sales than Beta, Gas Gas or Sherco. It is hard to imagine that 4RT sales come anywhere close to funding the trials team. So why then do Montesa Honda participate?

Is it for the halo effect of relatively easily won world championships? (The trials team must cost a fraction of the MX or Moto GP teams)

Is it to develop technology that can be applied elsewhere in the Honda range? (Battery less fuel injection for example)

• Like 1

Neils on wheels.

Two factors com into play here. Repsol predominantly underwrite the cost of the “Honda/Montesa/Repsol” trials team.

Secondly the R&D costs have long being amortized due to the qty of bikes over the years you mentioned. Little changes to the design over a long period of time. Where as the other marques change quite a bit from year to year resulting in having to recoup the R&D cost in shorter time frame.

Honda/Montesa is more evolutionary while the other brands are more revolutionary. This is also witnessed by the Japanese car brands

and such cars as Camry, Civic etc they don't change much over the years and they slowly evolve.

Edited by billyt
  • Like 1

Honda would not be putting that much cash into the team, apart from bike costs, most of the team would be funded by Repsol money. Honda aren't in it to make a profit, they are big enough to absorb the smallish cost of producing the engine and frame (most of the rest is of the shelf).

Honda do exactly the same with there road bikes, unlike Many others. The 4rt is not everyone's cup of tea, but they still sell. There is definitely a new bike, as the boss of HRC indicated so, but suggested that the recession meant they considered it not a good time to put it into production yet. I would be surprised if we saw it in 2015, but as Fuji has just been signed for another year, it could be a good time for promoting in Japan as well as the rest of the world.

With Toni Bou, Honda/Montesa are just about guaranteed 8 more world championships, unless a new star pops up to challenge him.

• Like 1

Honda will always take a loss in one area if it means World Championships in it for them.... Japanese and Honour and all that.

I think its one more world Championship and Bou is the all time Motorcycle World Championship holder by number... not a bad thing for Honda/Repsol/Montesa! They (Honda) would not even consider it a loss... baby money for many, many World Championships.

The money into Repsol Trials verses Repsol moto GP would be peanuts!

Mags

I too am confident of a new bike for 2015...but only Tony Bou gets one. As for the rest of us mortals, I'd bet on bold new graphics and titanium bar ends to shave the weight to a feathery 85kg. All for a great price of 7000euros.

I had not heard this before. Where was this published?

I can't recall exactly where I read this (although I seem to remember it may of been a YouTube video from one of the Japanese links, Fuji was also in it and the HRC guy was riding an RTL and was then interviewed), but he did also mention that he didn't think the weight would be drastically lowered either (due to cost).

We'll just have to wait and see.