Ty250/sherpa T 199A

scot taco

Haven,t been on a bike all year until yesterday.I rode the 199a first and then the Ty250A in the backyard in a small area.I,m not a very good trials rider to start with so I was just practicing some tight turns and going over logs.I haven,t ridden the 199 much,maybe three times,but it was easier to do all of it on the TY.

Does that seem right or does it mean I,m just more use to the trusty TY? I did finally do it all with feet up on the 199,but it took quite a few laps around the course.I had about an hour inbetween,then hopped on the TY and did it first time and kept doing it feet up.Just my novice observation I guess,but the TY seems easier to ride for someone like me (not very talented and un-practiced).I might have to sell one to help pay for some kids college expenses and it would be a tough choice,but so far I think the old TY has the edge.

I've had a similar experience with my 2012 GasGas and 2008 Montesa. The GasGas is easier to balance, wheely, hop around etc...
Some bikes are just easier to ride

But I've sold both and ordered me a 2015 4RT, go figure :stoned:

I have, and ride, both bikes.

You didn't mention what you intend to do with the bike, but since you're here I'll assume you plan to compete.

The Bultaco is the better bike for upper level sections. It has better suspension and more ground clearance.

The TY is good enough for any Vintage class lines I've encountered, and it's zippier power is more fun on the loop. I've been riding the TY more than the Bul lately.

Of course on old bikes like these, condition and upgrades make the biggest difference.

Edited by motovita
  • Like 1

I was looking for a Bultaco back in 2006 when I wanted to get back into trials.(Simply beacause I'd never had one before)At the time I couldn't find exactly what I wanted and ended up with 2 Yams,one running,one in bits.I have to say I'm glad I did,all the Bultaco's I've tried since have felt awkward,with draggy clutches and rubbish brakes.The Yams by comparison have lovely soft motors,smooth clutches and steer perfectly.The front forks can be soggy but can be easily sorted,the rear end is down to shock choice and setup.The brakes work and best of all they are stone reliable.Easy spares etc,just an easy way to do twinshock trials.If you want more ground clearance you can upgrade the frame to Majesty spec.(Will get around to building one of mine eventually...)

As said its all down to personal taste,for me the Yam is very easy to live with.

Thanks for all the feed back.If I can swing it I will keep both of them,but I do enjoy riding the TY a bit more.I,ve been racing a 74 pursang for a long time in vintage events and I do know that once set up properly the Buls are very reliable.I don,t compete in trials very often,but would like to do a little more.I have just as much fun going to a riding area,setting up a couple of sections and practicing.I think in the long run the TY would be easier and cheaper to live with.

• Like 1