Gopro Camera

the addict

First test with the GoPro Hero3 yesterday with very uninspiring ground conditions of either totally frozen rocks or rocks covered in very slippery mud, but I did pluck up enough courage to ride some of them to give the camera a test.

I've taken the video using a chest harness which seems to give a good view from a trials bike perspective, although I might try lowering it slightly next time and tilting it up more which might help terrain viewing. It can be mounted just below the headstock on the number board which may be even better? and I'll try that next weekend as long as vibration or heavy impacts don't mess things up too much, or try it on a fork leg as I've not seen that before on a trials bike?

I've been very impressed with the cameras functions/ease of use and quality of pictures although YouTube doesn't do the images the justice they deserve including sound the quality, and if anyone has any tips on increasing youtube upload speeds please let me know as this 13 minutes video took four hours to upload?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky4ak-MgKns&list=UURydO_4a5skATzka4t8lwhw&index=1

Edited by the addict
  • Like 4

I received a gopro 3+ black for Christmas asking on another forum it seems using a ram mount to attach it to the bike is the post popular as the bike tends to be more solid than a person.

picture.jpg

I bought a simple clip and clipped it on my chest pocket and was happy with the outcome but it is far from a pro solution.

clip_on.jpg

As far as youtube my suggestion would be edit the video down to more of a high light real it is fine to have 15 minute videos for your own watching pleasure but spend a little time cutting scenes by editing it maybe even toss in some sped up parts (for the boring parts) or slow motion bits (for the good stuff). 1/4 of an hour is a really long time - my family typically walks away after the 2 minute mark :). The Gopro video editing software makes the editing pretty easy. This is my first video (the wheelies are in slow motion and I edited out most of the street ride as I noticed I hadn't come to full stops at the stop signs).

• Like 2

Think the chest shots are the best place for the camera although I will try the number board this week. Michael, this is the chest harness I used with my camera, its really good and holds the camera tight into the body so no jumping about.

http://shop.gopro.com/mounts/chesty-chest-harness/GCHM30-001.html#/start=1

I'll take a look at the editing software this evening thanks, I'm using Movie maker at the moment which may not be as good as GoPro's own.

Great footage, how do you set the front wheel down so gently? It's interesting to hear when you use the throttle too and how you don't need loads to get over obstacles- correct me if i'm wrong. Camera position good, gives you a sense of riding the bike.

Michael you're going to get in trouble for riding on the pavement, hehe, how come a neighbour hasn't come out and shouted at you yet? :D

Didn't realise the front wheel was Heather, and the lack of throttle is down to very slippery ground conditions and possibly the 4rt not revving like a 2 stroke does (its been so long since I rode one I cant remember) but you don't need much throttle to ride over average size obstacles if your weight is back making the front wheel very light. I don't think the sound quality helps either, listening to the clip I'm sure I would have used more throttle so I'll use the non waterproof casing next time to see if audio is better.

Great footage, how do you set the front wheel down so gently? It's interesting to hear when you use the throttle too and how you don't need loads to get over obstacles- correct me if i'm wrong. Camera position good, gives you a sense of riding the bike.

Michael you're going to get in trouble for riding on the pavement, hehe, how come a neighbour hasn't come out and shouted at you yet? :D

1) I live in Canada, we don't typically shout at each other :D.

2) That is my Sherco X-Ride which is street legal here in Nova Scotia or at least I was able to convince the dept of vehicles that it was (doesn't excuse the sidewalk though :D)

Edited by michael_t

1) I live in Canada, we don't typically shout at each other :D.

2) That is my Sherco X-Ride which is street legal here in Nova Scotia or at least I was able to convince the dept of vehicles that it was (doesn't excuse the sidewalk though :D)

You'd get someone coming out for sure over here, or they'd report you. Apparently people in my neighborhood think I am dangerous on my road bike because I weave back and forth round the block (to warm up tires) I envy you, haha ;)

Didn't realise the front wheel was Heather, and the lack of throttle is down to very slippery ground conditions and possibly the 4rt not revving like a 2 stroke does (its been so long since I rode one I cant remember) but you don't need much throttle to ride over average size obstacles if your weight is back making the front wheel very light. I don't think the sound quality helps either, listening to the clip I'm sure I would have used more throttle so I'll use the non waterproof casing next time to see if audio is better.

I have landed harshly after wheelies or getting over a bank or something a few times, probably more body positioning than anything else. I didn't realize it was a 4rt, sort of explains the exhaust note. Fair play, a lot of people I've spoke to struggle for grip with those