Honda Cg125 Engine V Tl125

john b

Hi there

Any opinions ? I'm looking at a hi boy with rebuilt cg125 engine bored out to 150

Just not sure on it not being a tl engine ........

I run a tl125 for trials at the minute which I plan to keep as well

Thoughts?

Cheers

John

The CG gearbox is very close ratio, it may be possible to fit the TL gear set but i've never tried. I had a good one in an XL and although on paper they both develop about the same amount of power it always felt down on power compared to the OHC engine and if you geared it for slow stuff you were flat out on the road at about 45 /50 ish and I mean absolutely flat out - on the positive side they are very hard to kill!!

The overbore might address the power issue and make it significantly more torquey (sorry about the spelling)

What I would like to know is why your immaculate TLR200 is up for sale on this website,and you are going back to aTL125 as a replacement. I cant comment on the CG engine but have a bored and stroked TL125 to 175cc that works much better than a stock 125 engine which Honda say have a whole 8 horsepower. Also have put XR200 engines in TL125 frames over the years (done three) which are a huge improvement over the 125 engine. Mild cam, small carb, restrictive exhaust etc. with the xr engines.

Thanks for the replies guys

Tlr mark, I will still keep my current tl125 and trial it now, just fancied a hi boy as it is a new build, and has the 150cc engine. I could do work on my Tl, but to be honest would rather leave as is. I have too many bikes in the garage(s) at the moment, hence the need to sell tlr first before I buy another.

To be honest I'm cooling to the idea of the hi boy- as you say nothing wrong with the tlr...

Lets wait and see

Cheers

John