Common Engine Problems

trial_master

what are the common engine problems with the 290 and how much to have them fixed.

Particuallary interested in tapping sounds (like an old diesel car engine) when revd, it does not do it when just ticking over

any one had this problem, bike rides 100% otherwise, no loss of power or out

Ryan

As was said before you picked up your bike, get someone familiar with them to have a look and a listen. It is virtually, if not totally impossible, to describe in written words what is wrong, or even if there is anything wrong.

Get linked up with some other riders in your area. There seemed to be several that offered to help.

Get linked up with a good dealer close to you. You kind of end up hat in hand though because you did not buy your bike from one.

Those two groups of folks will make the experience a joy or a pain.

Did I just read in the fork seal post that you are rebuilding this engine? I thought you just bought this bike a week or two ago. Did it sound that bad then?

Edited by Alan Bechard

Thanks,

Im not rebuilding the engine, i would not know where to start :lol:

but i am goint to be taking it to a shop to have the problem diagnosed this weekend hopefully.

The bike did not make any noise (that i can remember) when i bought it. I have only used it for about 14 hours (1 hour, 7 hours, 6 hours)since i got it over 3 weeks ago and the noise has gone from only noticable in the high gears at high speed to low gears and low speeds. Even a blip of the throttle when the clutch is in produces this tapping sound

I used the bike for 1 hour 2 days after i got it (cleaning air filter first) and noticed the noise then.

I have since changed the gearbox oil and that made no difference, made it worse if out!

Cheers

Ryan

Took my bike to DMS trialsport today.

They said there is nothing wrong with my engine! He did not leave the bike long enough to warm up to hear the knocking, but said if it was out sereous it would be doing it from cold.

He said that the cause of the knocking could be the fuel i use! Esso ultimate (?) (expensive esso one)

He also asked if my fan worked, he said the overheating could be causing it.

how much should a new fan be?

Does all this sound logical to you lot????

I have left the bike with them as they are doing the fork seals for me (

It would be awful presumptious of anyone on here to second guess an expereinced mechanic with the bike in his hands.

Try and develop a relationship with them, and ask them to more fully explain and show how to check the various "symptoms" that you are seeing.

Fan's are pretty easy to check, ask them to show you how. I am sure they can also provide you the price of a fan if needed.

Also go on www.rypusa.com and read up all about your bike from the excellent library that is provided to you there.

If you hear a knock on quick acceleration or when you shut off after hard acceleration, you can usually get that to go away by richening the pilot and/or slide needle.

Try using a small amount of enrichener (choke) and see if the problem goes away.

You can put a small ziptie on the shaft to keep the enrichener from fully returning.

cheers

Im picking the bike up t his friday :) . It has new fork seals and a water pump shaft. Aswell as a clean carb.

I just hope they did a good job and the knocking sound has stopped. seem good so far though.

Ryan

Edited by Trial_master

alright matey. I wont be off to tong on sunday. Where (me and Danny (Nyawton)) off to Bumpy again. We was there today had had a great day.

The knocking sound has gone completely and the fan now works, Big thumbs up to DMS trialsport!!!

Just can't wait for tommorrow now!

Thanks

Ryan