Swm Vs Sherpa T 199B

scot taco

The gearing of the 199b is netter sorted and wider spread then to the 199a which has "only" 5 speeds.

The 4th of the 199b is really much closer to 3rd compared to the 5speed gearboxes of earlier Sherpas. My experiences to the 199a are only limited I just could loan some 199a bikes of mates in the club. The 175cc I had before is so different and I sadly can't compare anymore.

All in all I think the gearbox of the Sherpa 199b is very well set up and I like the spread of gears. Gear selection is too very easy even under load. Here the SWM feels harder when you change gear. This can too be therfore the case as I'am using ELF HTX inside the SWM and transaxle gear oil SAE 75 for the Sherpa.

On sand and we have a lot of this and too on steep uphills in deep loose sand both bikes do the job very well as the 199b and the TL.NW have this smooth engine and generates so nice traction.

I personal use mostly second for even steep uphills and let the engine spin in high revs as they are made for this. The high revs also deliver more torque. Never had a problem going up.

Differences 199a to 199b:

- engine:

many from bearings, gears, gear selector, shaft bearings, ... cylinder, cylinder head even the studs to the exhaust are different.

-frame:

Little bit different steering angle, overall length of frame, foot rest position, rear without loop, swing arm, forks inner components, air filter,

In comparison to my early 199b (Italian export bike) from 1981 with an late 199a (German export).

• Like 2

Is there more than one "standard" spec on a 199b ?

See John Collins post :-

http://www.trialscentral.com/forums/topic/32218-sherpa-t-differences/

If it's just the 199b you mean, there was only one version but there are minor differences in some components, probably due to what was available at the time they were assembled. Some had an alloy head steady. Some have a bracket on the front down tube in front of the head, probably for a horn, some Puma and similar bikes use that to add a front head steady.  Some R/H fork legs aren't drilled for spindle pinch bolts. Some had Femsa ignition, some had Motoplat.

• Like 2