Inner Tube Walk

auster

Hi, could some of the more experienced out there solve a problem, I am relatively new to trials and I am having a problem with the inner tube creeping round inside the tyre. The tyre itself is not moving (paint marks) but after a short time the valve is at an angle as the inner tube is moving relative to the wheel and tyre. It only seems to happen with new tyres/tubes and after a while stops happening. I run 5 psi on a classic ie heavy bike.

Thanks

Jon

Haven't heard of only the inner tube creeping round. Strange.

Nonetheless, new tyres might still have a little silicone on them, when they come out the mould. 
That would explain why it stops creeping after a while, the silicone has dried out.
Degreasing the contact areas of new tyres might help.

But because the above didn't prevent the tyre creeping on my Bultaco, I've ordered these all aluminium tyre locks.
Haven't had a chance to test them though.

DSC_0009-600x600.jpg

Edited by guys

Is it a one off event or does the tube creep every time you reset it?

If it's a one off i.e. you've fitted a new tyre or tube and after riding you've noticed the inner tube has crept, I'd guess that when it's been fitted the tube has more stretch on one side of the valve than the other and once ridden the tube is just finding it's natural position, this usually happens because when fitting, the valve is inserted into rim, then the tube is fed into tyre and on to the rim by working in one direction only, instead of working equally in both directions away from the valve.

Is there not a locking nut on the valve stem (some old boys leave these off to prevent the valve being ripped out should the tyre move on the rim)

• Like 1

On some bikes with similar rims the inner tube rotate by some not I have no clue why and why not.

Apperently my strongest bikes SWM and Bultaco don't have the trouble with valves in angle.

Instead the little Panda with red Acront front and rear similar to the Bultaco and SWM has a valve problem on each wheel.

Easiest way to get rid of it is loosing the bolt of the tire holder take out a little bit more air then:

for the front wheel: roll backward and the pull the brake, should work nice.

for the rear wheel: depending to the angle just roll then engage foot brake.

This procedure is 100 times easier an taking out the wheel, take out air squeeze the tire edges to the middle, ...

and it had worked for me astonishingly well.

• Like 2

Is it a one off event or does the tube creep every time you reset it?

If it's a one off i.e. you've fitted a new tyre or tube and after riding you've noticed the inner tube has crept, I'd guess that when it's been fitted the tube has more stretch on one side of the valve than the other and once ridden the tube is just finding it's natural position, this usually happens because when fitting, the valve is inserted into rim, then the tube is fed into tyre and on to the rim by working in one direction only, instead of working equally in both directions away from the valve.

Could well be, didn't think of that.

Is there not a locking nut on the valve stem (some old boys leave these off to prevent the valve being ripped out should the tyre move on the rim)

I never use the locking nut, this way you can also see earlier if the tube is creeping.

I have had that problem on a couple of bikes and it only happens after fitting a new tube or new tyre, then after a while, stops happening. When it happens, I just do what pshrauber says and then continue riding.

One thing I have noticed it that the tube always moves in the same direction. I have experimented with using talcum powder or not using talcum powder and could not detect any difference