4Rt -> 4Ride

bikeng

When I saw the 4Ride. I realised it is very nearly exactly what I'm looking for. Which got me thinking that an actual 4RT with some modification would be even better - especially as I already have a 4RT  :D But it's one of the last of the 250s and so missing a few items:-

Lights.

Not std. on current UK bikes, but I've found a suitable front light assembly from another 4RT. For the rear I should be able to concoct a small assembly to hold a small regn. plate and LED rear light.

Seat.

Just have to find one from a newer std. 260.

Then there's other needed mods:-

Gearing.

Bizarely, they chose to give the 4Ride a CLOSEr ratio gearbox, by raising the lower 4 gears, but keeping top the  same as on the 4RT. But I think the 4RT with overall gearing raised would actually be better. So ideally an 11 or 12 tooth front sprocket will be required. Anyone suggest where to obtain one of these?

Tank range.

Obviously not great as standard on the 4RT, but even the 4Ride could do with a bit more and from pictures I've seen, it doesn't look like that tank would fit with the 4RT seat. Is there a large tank conversion available from anywhere? I'm aware of the front fork tanks and the extra tank/seat combo, but I'm thinking of a re-worked main tank, rather like they do for the flat tank conversions, but making it larger instead?

Also, tank range is determined by fuel consumption, so the less it consumes the better. This for me rules out the 300RR as that just has to use the most fuel, but can anyone comment on any difference in consumption between a current 260 and the last of the previous 250s? I suspect the latter will use the least, but some first hand information would be good to know.

What now.

Assuming that neither a larger front sprocket, nor a larger tank is readily available, then they'd have to be made and costs obviously improve when more than 1 is involved. Would anyone else be interested in getting larger sprockets and fuel tank made? I'm in the UK, but they could then be shipped elsewhere. Or manufactured elsewhere and what I need shipped here. Either way, some sort of and#39;group buy'. If anyone would be interested, please either post here or PM me and we'll try and get it underway.

I doubt that there's room enough for a 13 T sprocket, even a 12 might come to close to the flywheel cover.

My 300RR came with an S3 36T rear sprocket, might be a better idea, or a 38 which is readily available.

• Like 1