Plastic Coating Frame And Masking

marky g

Just stripped my TY mono down for a bit of work, I'm going to have the frame plastic coated and I was wondering what tips you guys might have for masking off the Headstock bearing area and also the swing arm bearing area.

In the past I've not masked these areas off and have had a right nightmare getting the plastic coating back to metal to accept the bearing races :ph34r:

Will a simple masking off of the area with masking tape do ? I've just got images of the blasting process ripping the tape apart...any tips ??

, I'm going to have the frame plastic coated and I was wondering what tips you guys might have for masking off the Headstock bearing area and also the swing arm bearing area.

A plastic coater who is used to 'bike' work will do this as a matter of course - if you need to mask parts off yourself i would be considering changing the plastic coater you use.

Alternatively turn down a couple of wooden blanking plugs for the headstock bearings and hold in place with a bit of threaded rod & 2 nuts. A similar technique should be used for the swinging arm bearings.

I have had 2 frames coated in the last couple of years and the firm I used advised me to leave the masking/blanking to them. I had no problems with ANY threaded holes or machined surfaces - they used a wax or resin in threaded holes. Even although they advised this course of action I made up blanking plugs as described above - just in case for the headstock bearings.

Gordon

Thanks guys

I did think about some wooden blanking plugs, I used to use Epoxy powder coatings in Birmingham (Tyburn road?) who are well versed in bike stuff, it's been a few years and I'm not sure if there still around.

I had my SY250 frame done by a local company recently and it wasn't that good,as you say a good firm will probably sort that stuff out as a matter of course...anybody got any more ideas ?