Endurocross From A Squid Riders Perspective

ringo

I'd like to mention also what a good job the guys " Geoff and David did in their time trials. I went back to the pits and let them know they did great . Even though they both seemd to be a little discouraged, having qualified mid-pack.

Like Ringo said the event was anybodys race if they ran a clean run. Also like Ringo said that's hard to do that because you can't ride the course like a trials rider during the race. Which you can during time trials because your the only guy out there. Everyone tends to slam and bang in the motos which gives the MX guys the edge because they are used to that.

Even though Geoff had a tough night, David was really steady! He finished 4th in his heat race. Only two transfer out of the 12. Then in the last chance consolation race he finished 2nd out of 10 but only the winner got to transfer to the main. David was so close both motos but sadly he got no cigar!

Sounds like we got a some love fest going on here. Mr. Ringo... are you tying to bait me?

Let me pose these question, had Geoff and David hd to qualify instead of been invited, would they have been riding on Saturday?

My guess would be David maybe, Geoff... no way.

This event also has the element of a good endurocross rider being able to get up fast and get the bike started fast and get moving fast..... injury or not. You got to be able to ride over a rider or downed bike instead of waiting for him to pick the bike up.

In the first heat, before the first turn when Aaron and Knight tangled, Knight messed up his wrist. He didn't let this injury bother him.

How about a lesson in dignity?

When I came in from my last race I felt more demoralized, disapointed and embarrased than I have ever felt in my life. This was mainly due to my own misevaluation of what I thought I was getting myself into as well as crashing as hard as I did three times[Yeah, I crash a lot on my trials bike but I've been pretty consistant on the KTM and haven't gone down hard in a few years on it]. The combination of emotion and adrenaline was so incredible that I didn't even notice when or where I smashed my knee and didn't feel the pain until after I got back to the pits. My girlfriend was the first back to the pits to tell me how proud she was and then everyone else did the same. After talking to others, I realized that I didn't do as horrible as I thought and there were others who where having WAAAAAY more dificulty than me.

Had someone from the trials community come up to me and told me that I had dissapointed the entire trials community, I'm sure that I would've taken it to heart and been completely devastated.

Until you get out on that course and even ride one obstacle, you have no business making a comment like that to any rider, let alone the Champ.

In the least, I'd say you owe him a huge appology.

It's my guess that most of the people that read this board do not have much experience with enduro style racing and simply having to pick up a heavy bike or getting tossed off line in a race is a hell of a lot more than simply riding outside of a trials marker.

Ringo, I was chosen for the US Vase B ISDE team in 1973 and finished 11th in the ISDE qualifier national championship that year. So I did a little off roading with the best of the best myself.

I even managed to have the fastest times in the speical tests at one round of the championship on a speical build Frontera Phrototype. Build just for me by a speical department of Bultaco America, it was a fantastic bike. I only got to ride the bike once however but we proved what it could do by setting fastest times in the speical tests. We lost the overall because a taillight didn't work, darn.

The factory wanted me to ride the bike they sold, the Matador which I hated, so I gave up my spot on the ISDE team to factory Kawasaki rider Lar Larson. I simply got cought in the middle of a design squable between America and Spain!

So I stepped out of the off road racing sport and back into trials only. Up until then I did both and was perhaps one of the reasons that Bultaco paid me so much to ride for them.

So when I watched the Endurocross it brought back a lot of memories of riding against the Penton boys, Malcom Smith and a ton of other famous off road legends. I know first hand what Geoff, David and you faced. I've been in your shoes.

Beave