Model Years For Tyz

marky g

Just bought a TYZ of 95 vintage (I think), just wondered how many years did the TYZ sell for and what colour combinations did they have?

mines got purple tank cover with a yellow seat, White front and rear guards....just curious

Off e-bay by any chance? There was quite a tidy one this week. BVM have one that looks immaculate.

Anyway

1993 White tank cover and guards with pink graphics, pink forks and other plastics (ie chain guard, rear disc guard)

1994 Purple wheels, forks, tank cover and other plastics, white guards

1995 as '94

1996 White tank cover, blue guards, white forks, grey other plastics, expansion chamber on exhaust, 10mm spacer under top yoke

1997 As '96 but with shorter silencer

1998 As '97

Some ignition changes along the way too

1994/5 model generally reckoned to be the best but they all benefit from lowered footrests. Steering can be a bit vague in mud but good on rocks. Great bike for SSDT.

Probably the best all round trials engine ever produced - in my opinion. In fact, if Carlsberg did trials engines they would be TYZs :hl:

Edited by Woody

Cheers Woody, looks like I've got a 94 then (purple wheels) yes mate it was the bike on ebay.....it looked alot better in the pics than it does in the flesh :P

It came for the right money so I'm not too bothered....the bits are not as cheap as my TY mono, just ordered a new rear guard at

The side stand bracket is made from chocolate

hi mate B)

I can fully endorse the statement quoted above. Except they are made of runny chocolate mixed with oil and water ;)

Other than a fork seal and oil and shim which needed doing when I got it, a few oil changes etc 100% reliable = totally happy.

Take care on the oil drain plug. This too is made of ****. I had to get a mate to weld a spanner to it after it rounded. Gordon Farley's (where I bought the bike) supplied a much better aftermarket plug foc :P . The standard one has quite a deep 'shoulder' and not much for a spanner to grip. If you think yours is standard it may be worth replacing IMO (saving any bother in future). I know you shouldn't be overtightening them (but the previous owner obviously didn't know that, or it got baked on.) Also apply a bit of fresh oil to the sealing washer and copper grease to the thread.

hth

Happy riding

pat

Cheers Motoplat, I'll keep them in mind.

I always thought the forks were the same dia as the pinky but now there side by side the TYZ is quite a bit bigger.

I can see what your saying Woody about the bike being the ideal tool for the SSDT.

Mines even got a grease nipple on the headstock as well as the rear suspension linkage....is the head stock nipple standard ??

Also, has anybody got a workshop manual for a TYZ ?

The owners manual doubles as a workshop manual, everything you need to know is in there. Thats just the ticket on sale on ebay, get bidding!! I even kept mine when I sold my TYZ as I knew I was getting a Scorpa SY and it came with next to cock all manual!

Seems, to the best of my knowledge, Montesa are the only manufactures that supply a decent book with their bikes. About time more did the same.

Also, has anybody got a workshop manual for a TYZ ?

as mentioned it's a pretty similar engine in scorpas and I think there may be some sort of scorpa manual online somewhere. (sorry, don't know where - google may be your freind ;) ). It won't be a pukka manual, but it may be of use?

I was verrrrry verrrry lucky and I received a manual from a poster on here who happens to really love TYZs and does the odd SSDT on them B) , who had a spare he didn't need.

I also got something from Sammy Miller (I think), but that was basically a parts stock list or similar.

If it's something specific I won't mind looking it up for you - BUT, I'm not on here regularly. If u want to email me I can give you an address I go to more than here?

pat :P