06 Pro Rear Pre Load

moulder

I have been trying to set up my pre load as descibed in the latest issue of Trials World magazine. With the rear wheel off the ground the distance measured was 53.5cm and then with me standing on the bike the disatnce decreases to 46cm. This is no where near what trailsworld suggest. They say the preload should be half the travel?

I therefore slackened the spring by 1 turn to try and increase the preload and it made no difference with a measurement of 46cm again.

Has anybody else experimented with this?

Am I doing something wrong?

Should the preload be 1/2, 1/3, 1/4 of the total travel?

I may have got the wrong end of the stick, but you have 7.5 cm of preload, and as most bikes have about 15cm of travel on the rear suspension, does this not mean that you have about 1/2 without any adjustment? I haven't seen the article that you refer to , but there have been some references to excellent set up data previously on this site

Mr Dabster sir, had you read my contribution you would have seen that I was only questioning the logic and mathmatics I wasn't setting myself up as an expert on suspension, so your response was, as we have come to expect, arrogant in the extreme!!

Furthermore if you do the maths (as listed on the GG USA site) you will find that for a 50% preload Moulder would expect a measurement of 44.75cm and for 33% a measurement of 47.67cm (assuming 17.5cm of suspension travel as on my Beta) He actually measured 46cm a preload of 40%, so my original contribution was not only well-meant and relevant, but dare I say it - Accurate!!

Finally I have over many years owned, ridden and maintained many trials bikes butI have never tried to set myself up as OMNISCIENT as I am sure, with your superior knowledge, will already know that this means 'know-all', smart a**e, or even 'clever sh*t

Regards

Steve

Steve, easy tiger! I was (as Perce astutely noted) refering to the article in trialsworld by that well known trials spanner man Robin bayman, who apparently thinks among other things that we will all be on 4 strokes in 2 years.

Your figures seem finre to me and suspension is one thing that is not my forte, so thats why I refered moulder to the sites I mentioned as I take my lead from them that knows.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm 13 stone,and the ohlins shock on my [damn noisy] 04 raga,which I believe has the same shock as your 06 is set at:bike on stand under sumpplate,wheels off ground spring length 120mm,damping adjuster all way in [clockwise],thenback 16clicks,its superb.Hope this helps