Tlr Oil Cooler Fitting Advice

nic

I am after some info on how to fit an oil cooler to a TLR engine. I have a suitable cooler, but need some help as I am not 100% sure where to pipe it up too.

Having seen pictures of other engines with coolers, (including RTLs) it looks as though the blanking plug in the crankcase is removed for the oil feed. At the top end it looks as though the cam lifter bolt hole is drilled to return the oil to the top end. I could do with knowing the correct diameter of the oil lines and whether any internal oilways around the oil pump need modifying.

Any info would be a great help.

I have been looking to fit a oil cooler, what type have you got? See pictures of where my external oil feed pipe goes. It is from the blanking plug at the front of engine and then into the cam lifter hole, i have kept the lifter ( or rather addad one) mine does have a RTL bottom end though! The picture is prior to fitting the valve lifter, will post one asap.

post-900-1134504805.jpg

Edited by superhondaman

I'm going to do that on my little TL and I'm going to try to take pictures and document everything. At the speed I work at though it may be a while.

I've got a friend that knows this stuff inside out and he's going to show me exactly what to do.

superhondaman,

has this engine worked since the external oil feed was fitted?

i wonder if you have enough oil pressure at the gearbox side?

As far as i know the external feed has always been there! it was on it when i got the bike 3 years ago, remember it has a RTL bottom end and diden't they all have external oil feeds? All i have done is to fit a valve lifter to take some pressure off the kick start as this was causing problems with slipping on the spline. Fitting the lifter has allowed me to kick the bike up with less presure on the shaft.

All that external one is doing in the picture is

putting oil to the top end with out using the internal

passageway. I'm sure the factory internal one is blocked.

This lets the oil be cooler to the top end instead of picking up heat

from the barrel on the way up.

I found a small cooler at the BMF show, secondhand spares area, back in the summer. If you dial in 'oil cooler' on ebay you will find all sorts!

How do Honda plug off the internal oil feed to the Head?

nic.

I only have a few pictures of the oil cooler on my old bike, but the oil line came from the pump and into the top of the cooler, then drained down the cooler and came out into the bottom tube which then ran up to the head plug.

One way to make sure of getting the right plug hole at the case, is get some nice chap to photo copy an RTL right side case gasket, I know one fellow on here has some because I sold them to him, then compare that gasket with the right side case gasket of the 200, the 200 will have a hole blanked off in the gasket, the RTL will have this open to allow the oil to go into the external pipe.

post-8-1134592811.jpg

post-8-1134592863.jpg

post-8-1134592916.jpg

I only have a few pictures of the oil cooler on my old bike, but the oil line came from the pump and into the top of the cooler, then drained down the cooler and came out into the bottom tube which then ran up to the head plug.

This is good positioning. It stops the cooler draining when the engine is off, which starves the top end of vital oil on start up as it refills.

Worth considering when placing a cooler on the 'positive' feed.