2 Stroke Mix.... Does It Hurt....

nokesy

I don't use my bike ('89 TY 250R) as often as I'd like to, and it may not be used for up to 2 months at a time. Is it ok to leave the fuel in the tank for this long? Does 2 stroke mix 'go off', so to speak? and I've usually got 1/2 gallon of 2 stroke mix in a fuel can stored. Is this ok? Thanks for any advice.

When I had a Yam tyz 250 the manual said you should do your 2 stroke mix and use straight away. The oil does separate from the fuel. I have often thought a cause of main bearing failure in some bikes could be due to the oil separating. If you fuel is stood in the bike for a few weeks I would think it possible for a very rich mix to go through the engine first then the rest of the fuel could possibly just be petrol with very little oil.

mark t

• 2 years later...

not sure about that! i read that once 2-stroke oil (modern) been mixed properly it never seperates again!

i think this was a throw back to the 60's when the old 2-stroke oils used to seperate im sure this NOT the case anymore! :hyper: