reducing play in the throttle

Sir Real Ed

I originally posted this on another forum as a time tested method to reduce numbness in your right hand, and someone tried it and replied that it was a great way to increase throttle precision.  So why not post it in a trials forum?

If your right hand gets more numb than your left, it is probably due to excess clearance between the throttle tube ID and your handle bar OD. I have measured a couple bikes with handle bar diameter = 0.870" and throttle tube ID = 0.910, or 0.04" of diametrical clearance.

Get some UHMW bearing tape (McMaster.com, pn 76445A722, 0.005" thick) and in 3 equally spaced places, wrap your handle bar with a couple loops of tape. One wrap increases handle bar diameter/reduces clearance by 0.010". Wrap an extra turn more than you think you need.  

Slip the throttle tube over the tape, it should have virtually no clearance, but still turn freely enough to not bind so that the throttle return spring does not allow the throttle to stay open. If it is too tight unwind 1/2 to 1 turn at a time until you get little or no clearance, but no binding.

Re-assemble your throttle and test that the throttle returns by itself before riding.

give it a shot.

Could be that as you ride you increase the clamping force of your right hand and this intensifies the muscle cramp and hence numbness. Enduro riding, trying to maintain speed and holding on while traversing undulating going leaves little chance to concentrate on throttle control, so you stick out your index finger to cover the brake lever, do this for the clutch as well and you will find the numbness abates. I have found this a very comfortable mode for road riding long distsnce too! Most riders do this and it tends to relax the hold on the bars and improves feel through the bars.? You only use all of your fingers to grip the bars when really going fot it!

18 minutes ago, section swept said:

Could be that as you ride you increase the clamping force of your right hand and this intensifies the muscle cramp and hence numbness. Enduro riding, trying to maintain speed and holding on while traversing undulating going leaves little chance to concentrate on throttle control, so you stick out your index finger to cover the brake lever, do this for the clutch as well and you will find the numbness abates. I have found this a very comfortable mode for road riding long distsnce too! Most riders do this and it tends to relax the hold on the bars and improves feel through the bars.? You only use all of your fingers to grip the bars when really going fot it!

Everything you say makes sense.  I was taught that proper trials technique is for the rider to ALWAYS cover the clutch and front brake lever with their index fingers and use ONLY their index fingers to operate both.  I have never noticed numbness in either hand while riding trials.  

Every non-trials bike (6-8) I have ever done this to, resulted in significantly less (70-80%) numbness in my right hand.

Could be the placebo effect, but since I am forgetful as hell, I doubt it.  Cheap mod to tinker with.

As they say, your mileage may vary.  

19 hours ago, Sir Real Ed said:

I originally posted this on another forum as a time tested method to reduce numbness in your right hand, and someone tried it and replied that it was a great way to increase throttle precision.  So why not post it in a trials forum?

If your right hand gets more numb than your left, it is probably due to excess clearance between the throttle tube ID and your handle bar OD. I have measured a couple bikes with handle bar diameter = 0.870" and throttle tube ID = 0.910, or 0.04" of diametrical clearance.

Get some UHMW bearing tape (McMaster.com, pn 76445A722, 0.005" thick) and in 3 equally spaced places, wrap your handle bar with a couple loops of tape. One wrap increases handle bar diameter/reduces clearance by 0.010". Wrap an extra turn more than you think you need.  

Slip the throttle tube over the tape, it should have virtually no clearance, but still turn freely enough to not bind so that the throttle return spring does not allow the throttle to stay open. If it is too tight unwind 1/2 to 1 turn at a time until you get little or no clearance, but no binding.

Re-assemble your throttle and test that the throttle returns by itself before riding.

give it a shot.

the bikes come with bar end bearings in the throttle now dont they, or am i missing something??

14 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

the bikes come with bar end bearings in the throttle now dont they, or am i missing something??

I have only seen that on some bikes not all of them.  But it isn't hard to get one and add it yourself.  

11 hours ago, nigel dabster said:

gas gas definately do but it cant be just them?

I know my 2017 Montesa didn’t come with one and I don’t recall one on my buddies new Beta... I am wondering if it’s a feature on the newer factory bikes maybe?